PDA

View Full Version : White House Ruin - Canyon de Chelly

Michael Lloyd
12-07-2013, 03:32 PM
I spent a couple of weeks roaming around the southwest US in October. The highlight of the trip was Canyon de Chelly.

1DMKIV
70-200 f2.8L IS II

ISO 100
1/2s @ f8

http://wildlightimagingstudio.com/img/s5/v128/p1038074611-5.jpg

David Stephens
12-07-2013, 04:52 PM
The detail of the rock face is very impressive. The great contrast really sets it off. I'm thinking that more overall emphasis on the rock face would add power. To do that, I'd try cropping near the tops of the FG trees.

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Hi Michael, great to see you back in Landscapes...I love the lines in the rock face. I think they would make a great abstract all in themselves. If this were mine I would tone down the brights and bring up the overall contrast a bit more. Looks like a very cool place with tons of possibilities. Nice one!

Michael Lloyd
12-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Hi Andrew. It's good to be back. I agree that the image as posted needs pretty much what you suggested. The print has much greater range and contrast. I think I know what happened but I don't know what to do about it.

I have some images from Standing Cow Ruin that are nothing but desert varnish. It's amazing to see in person. The park archeologist was off due to the shutdown and he was one of our two guides. He told me that one of the coolest things that he had ever seen in the canyon was the hundreds of small waterfalls that were in the canyon after a rainstorm. Canyon de Chelly is a place that I could spend a week in and still want more.

Sie note- Timothy O'Sullivan and Ansel Adams both made images of White House Ruin (and others I'm sure). Neither of their vantage points were possible.

Cheryl Slechta
12-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Hi, Michael, I'd love to go here. You were fortunate to have the archeologist as your guide! A little more contrast as noted would be nice but I like it just the way it is.:S3:

Chris Ober
12-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Love the lines and details leading down the rocks. Wish the building stood out a bit more.

Mack Hicks
12-12-2013, 12:49 AM
I like the trees the way they are. Hopefully will get back there next spring and actually get to go into the canyon, not just the rim.