PDA

View Full Version : Deep in December

Bill Jobes
12-06-2013, 10:24 AM
A farm lane in Eastern Pennsylvania as seen on an overcast, slightly foggy December Morning.

iPhone 5s

David Stephens
12-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Nice iPhone shot.

I like the line of the road, matched with the shadow lines from the trees further away. The increasingly thick fog gives great depth to the image and the front tree really balances the frame, IMO.

I don't know that I can improve it, but I would have played with shadow recovery on the front tree to look at it with more color and detail in that tree. Still, I would have likely ended up where you did.

Rachel Hollander
12-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi Bill - nice iphone shot. What's in the fg? Did you do any pp?

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
12-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Hi Bill
This is Sweet and simple. Appealing although a little tight on the main tree IMHO as its touching the top edge. My main wish would be that the little branch on main tree did not intersect with the next. Maybe a quick smite with the PS axe could fix it if you choose..? In retrospect maybe another step backwards might have fixed both? anyway, well seen. I do also think a small tweak of the shadows slider might help a bit too but given its an Iphone image not so sure if this might bring up noise or not..

DON

Bill Jobes
12-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks, David -- I could bring out some tree detail if the phone recorded it. That's a good suggestion.

Nice iPhone shot.

I like the line of the road, matched with the shadow lines from the trees further away. The increasingly thick fog gives great depth to the image and the front tree really balances the frame, IMO.

I don't know that I can improve it, but I would have played with shadow recovery on the front tree to look at it with more color and detail in that tree. Still, I would have likely ended up where you did.

Bill Jobes
12-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Hi Rachel,

By the FG, do you mean the dark gravel farm lane trail?

Yes, I did some PP in CS 6 ... nothing unusual -- just the usual uncomplicated things to improve an image.

Hi Bill - nice iphone shot. What's in the fg? Did you do any pp?

TFS,
Rachel

Bill Jobes
12-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Thanks Don. It was a minimalist morning, and I tried to capture that feeling.

I understand your point about the top of the tree and the intersecting branch.

This is a visceral crop-in-the camera full frame image. I have some others with more room all around, as I did a variety of horizontal and vertical frames. It was tighter than I, too, wanted at the top, but the other elements were positioned where I wanted them.

It was fun putting the iPhone 5s to a beyond-snapshots test.

Hi Bill
This is Sweet and simple. Appealing although a little tight on the main tree IMHO as its touching the top edge. My main wish would be that the little branch on main tree did not intersect with the next. Maybe a quick smite with the PS axe could fix it if you choose..? In retrospect maybe another step backwards might have fixed both? anyway, well seen. I do also think a small tweak of the shadows slider might help a bit too but given its an Iphone image not so sure if this might bring up noise or not..

DON

Bill Jobes
12-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks very much for all the suggestions and observations.

I took several into account when selecting another (looser) frame from the same series, and brought out some shadow detail in the FG tree.

I also made the photo slightly larger for better viewing.

Diane Miller
12-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Nice to see some iPhone work here! Good seeing on the perspective in the trees marching down the lane. I do like the idea of shadow recovery, and might go even a little farther. There is usually more in a JPEG than I expect.

Bill Jobes
12-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks Diane.

I wanted to open up smartphones as a viable photo instrument. They have come a long way.

With this photo, I was in the field using the phone as a viable tool beyond its traditional role as a snapshotter.

We all know their limitations, but there's no need to ignore the possibilities. It was actually a lot of fun !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Anette Mossbacher
12-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Hi Bill, the RP looks great from an iPhone.
Did you try to flip it horizontal, looks better to me than :w3

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Hi Bill...love the colors and the fog...winter trees make great subjects. Any chance you tried a couple of versions from a slightly lower perspective so that the main tree's branches are not merging with the other tree?

Bill Jobes
12-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks Anette. I did take some horizontal perspectives but actually preferred the vertical.

Not sure what you meant by your question though. I did not flip this image.

Hi Bill, the RP looks great from an iPhone.
Did you try to flip it horizontal, looks better to me than :w3

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Bill Jobes
12-10-2013, 12:35 PM
I didn't try that, Andrew. But it's a great suggestion -- thanks !

Hi Bill...love the colors and the fog...winter trees make great subjects. Any chance you tried a couple of versions from a slightly lower perspective so that the main tree's branches are not merging with the other tree?

Cheryl Slechta
12-11-2013, 10:31 AM
It amazing what iPhones can do. I love the simplicity of this image, both OP and RP.:S3:

Anette Mossbacher
12-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Bill, with flipping I meant this way :bg3:
WDYT?

Chris Ober
12-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Well done all around. Nothing I can think to mention that hasn't already been.

Bill Jobes
12-12-2013, 04:14 AM
I wasn't sure ... but your version works very nicely.

Just as a bit of trivia, as I recall from my days as a newspaper photo editor, the insider's jargon term for doing that was 'flop,' not 'flip.' :w3

Bill, with flipping I meant this way :bg3:
WDYT?

Bill Jobes
12-12-2013, 04:19 AM
Thank you, Cheryl !

And yes, it sure is amazing what they can do, especially the newer ones.

Not for everything for sure, but sometimes they can be the right tool for the job.

It amazing what iPhones can do. I love the simplicity of this image, both OP and RP.:S3:

Bill Jobes
12-12-2013, 04:20 AM
Thanks, Chris !

Well done all around. Nothing I can think to mention that hasn't already been.