PDA

View Full Version : No icebergs here...

Don Railton
12-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Tonight's Sunset from a local beach here in Perth.... Not an iceberg or polar bear to be seen anywhere...humph...!

Zeiss Distagon 18mm with CP + 1D4 sitting on 5 series Gitzo and Oben Ball head.
20 sec @ F22, ISO 100, Manual mode.

Processed in ACR, gradient applied, sized and sharpened.

DON

David Stephens
12-06-2013, 12:09 PM
The pastel sky and its reflection really makes this for me. I have mixed feelings about long-exposure, smooth-water shots (becoming cliche'), but this one works for me.

Bill Jobes
12-06-2013, 02:36 PM
With a sky like that, who needs terrestrial accoutrements ?

It really is a wonderful moment in Nature. The infinite variety of colorful sunsets never disappoints. Nice work .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Rachel Hollander
12-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Hi Don - I think the long exposure worked very well here. I'm seeing a heavy cyan cast, particularly on the sand, and would reduce it if it were mine. You can reduce it globally or just on the sand if you prefer. Is that a ship at the horizon? Maybe you can tell people it's a stray iceberg from Antarctica.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
12-07-2013, 05:03 AM
Hi Rachel, Well spotted with the cast, I hope the repost addresses that... I need to readjust/recalibrate my colour management. I am also glad you noticed the iceberg steaming down to the port of Fremantle about 50 km south of here...:t3

Hi Bill, thanks for the compliment... We do get a bit spoilt with sunset on the west coast, and to be honest, this was not a good one, just a typical one.

Hi Dave, I do agree, images can be overdone with the very long exposure. In my defence I did also take a much shorter exposure but as you might expect the reflection was not nearly as strong and it was binned... This was one of two image I thought worth of posting, the other I might do tomorrow..

thank you all for your comments..

DON

Steve Kaluski
12-07-2013, 06:38 AM
RP rocks for me Don, great, love the colours on this one. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Don Railton
12-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Thanks Steve..!

Rachel Hollander
12-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Don - rp addresses the cast. Well done.

:cheers:,
Rachel

Diane Miller
12-07-2013, 11:51 PM
Gorgeous colors and beautiful straight horizon! I'm not yet tired of long exposures of water.

Anette Mossbacher
12-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Hi Don,

great image and your RP does it for me too. Very nice, love the colors.

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi Don...repost does it for me...a beautifully seen and captured moment...if you are not opposed to it I would clone out the ship. Nice work! :5

Morkel Erasmus
12-12-2013, 04:21 AM
Lovely colours and mood here, Don - the ship is a nice small touch on the horizon.
Repost works well (I too noticed the cast). Might brighten up FG a wee bit more?

Don Railton
12-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Hello all, thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Morkel, I will look at brightening the foreground a little more, think that will lift the image for sure.

Andrew, not opposed to cloning but I think the iceberg (cleverly disguised as a ship) gives a bit of interest/perspective, but I will remove it, walk away for 10 minutes and then reassess its presence...

To Moderators Morkel, Rachel, Steve, Andrew, Diane and anyone else that has commented on my posts (Anette..), I hope you all have a great Christmas..

regards
DON

Rachel Hollander
12-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks Don, you too!

Anette Mossbacher
12-13-2013, 04:18 AM
Thanks a lot Don, wish you also great Holidays :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
12-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Cheers Don, hope Santa brings you what you want for next year :bg3:, all the very best for 2014. :cheers: