PDA

View Full Version : Hold the ice!

Anette Mossbacher
12-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Svalbard driving around with the zodiac in front of a glacier through all the little & big icebergs. We settled a bit on this iceberg right in the FG, the blurry one. We all did not see what was behind the iceberg, it was quite high. Since I have seen this big piece of ice sitting on a little island before in the BG, I thought have a look and stood up :S3: Looked good to me for a comp, but not to good. Switched lenses in peace since all in the zodiac have been busy taking pix of the iceberg itself! When it was time to go on I had my 70-200mm on and asked the guide just to drive a tad closer and pointed him out where to go. Since when sitting you did not see what was behind it I stood up and went in the front of the zodiac to stay on this box or whatever it was. Some guys wanted to hold my legs, I said, just don't, better not too. The zodiac was shaking enough and hands on my legs might give me more of a shake :t3 ( I know the English is now very quirky in the last sentence! :t3 )

I took my time for this one and a few more images, non of the zodiac mates got up to have a look!!! Never mind, I only grabbed my room mate showed her one of the images on the camera, pushed her in front of the zodiac. Told her if she does not get this as I just showed her she pays the wine bottle for dinner. Yep she got it. She does Photography for Hobby and I did the pp later on on her PC. Adobe Elements is just not my element :S3:

Anyway, what I actually want to tell you all with this story.
I have seen many people not saying anything to drivers or guides to get the comp they want. Later on you hear the complains! Just a reminder, you pay, you are the customer and the guides/driver can move a meter or more to the right or to the left! They are always happy to do so.

Image pp in LR, normal and a bit more. PS Levels, curves & sharpening in CS6. Cropped from bottom a tad
But must say, this one is already converted in B&W, since something is just not …. I do not know what!!

MKIV ISO 800
70-200 L IS II set to 200mm
f/11 1/250 I wanted FG, the iceberg, blurry!
HH in drifting zodiac

Don Railton
12-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Hello Anette, I like how you have framed the island in the 'V' of the foreground ice. I like the detail you have captured in the ice behind the island, and I like your story...! I am glad you are very wary of strange men holding your legs... :t3 What I am not sure about is the foreground OOF ice, cant decide if I prefer it be cropped from the bottom or not, but I see that you wanted it blurry so well done..

regards

DON

David Stephens
12-06-2013, 09:24 AM
You have the glacial blue perfect and you have great detail of the island and glacier behind it. The perspective and lens choice give a sense of the steepness of the glacial ice. I think that the FG ice is an important component of achieving that sense of depth and steepness; however, I think there's too much of it. Did you try a crop closer to the V?

Anette Mossbacher
12-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Hi David,

I tried various crops, have still some here in the box. Not decided yet. Will wait what the others say on this :S3:
Thanks a lot

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
12-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Hi Anette, have you tried a crop without the hint of that snow sheet creeping in from the top?

Don sadly I can't, but will flag it up.

Anette Mossbacher
12-06-2013, 11:49 AM
I have seen the white creeping in when I posted it Steve. Did not try yet, but might be able to remove it. Will give it a shot to get rid of it. Thanks so much :bg3:

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
12-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Hi Anette - I like how you framed this. Nicely seen and captured. We spent some time shooting through holes in icebergs but I'm not thrilled with any of the images yet. Steve beat me to it on the white patch at the top.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
12-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Hi Rachel,

you let Steve beat you, to say that this cute little nice white gorgeous beautiful sweet like sugar snow patch is in the way :t3
It will be removed by Steve's request and I assume that is what was bugging me in the image.

Have a great weekend

Ciao
Anette

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Hi Anette, a lovely comp. I too like how you have framed it with the OOF ice in front. I am thinking a crop from the bottom to just above your watermark and do agree with Steve on the bright white patch of snow. Beautifully seen!