PDA

View Full Version : Natural Dry Flower Preservation.

Daniel Cadieux
12-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Photographed a few feet from the "rabbit" natural ice sculpture I posted earlier. It was amazing to me that the encased vegetation did not succumb from the weight of all that accumulated ice! For reference the seed heads are about the size of a kernel of un-popped popcorn. The BG is the Ottawa River which was not frozen over at the time.

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/160s., f/16, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, FF, again I added about 50 points of "Clarity" in lightroom during raw conversion...my new favorite processing tool for ice.

Nancy Bell
12-05-2013, 10:12 PM
This must have been a spectacular ice event to witness! Love that the blue bkgd shows through the ice and the various bubbles and mottled opacities within. I really like the brown reflection captured in the top of the ice sculpture, showing inside the ice the reverse of outside the ice, the usual brown bottom foreground topped with blue. Beautiful details of the seedheads even though they are deep inside the ice. This looks like a molar tooth this time.

Jonathan Ashton
12-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Oh Dan you have got a real humdinger of a shot here - just love it. The background is ideal, the seed heads are great. the only suggestion - and I suspect not valid is the seed on the left - if you had taken from a slightly higher viewpoint would you have been able to isolate the head a little more?? Hey hope you have more of these shots!

Don Jacobs
12-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Spectacular shot Dan. What a find you had that day:) Great details. Thanks for sharing.

Diane Miller
12-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Incredible!! Your own private Winter Carnival! Great capture!

Mitch Haimov
12-08-2013, 10:32 PM
The Rabbit's Molar?

Another winner, Daniel! What an event you witnessed--talk about being in the right place at the right time! I'm guessing these sculptures didn't last long, though might have been interesting to watch them change over time; potentially an interesting time-lapse subject. Anyway, lots of nice details for my eyes to linger on and that sweet BG enhance the overall image a lot as this would not have worked nearly so well with a cluttered BG showing through the ice. Crop feels a tad tight to me L and R.

Steve Maxson
12-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Hi Daniel. Another very cool ice sculpture! I like how we can see the plant so clearly through the ice. The air bubbles and the way the light causes some areas of the sculpture to be bright and others darker add interest. Also, the dark blue background adds to the cool feel of the image - totally appropriate for an ice sculpture! Very nicely done!