PDA

View Full Version : Snow Ghost

Arthur Morris
12-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Here is a rather whimsical repost/creation of an image posted tonight in Avian here (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/115841-Glowing-Snow-Goose?p=956252#post956252).

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Rachel Hollander
12-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Hi Artie - It is whimsical and makes one stop and think which is good. Reminds me a little of a template for a connect the dots drawing that we used to do as kids. Personally though, I prefer the original.

TFS,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
12-04-2013, 08:47 PM
I really like the minimal, graphic look of this Snow Goose, with that beautiful sweep of the wing tips. Great title as this must be all you see of a Snow Goose in a snowstorm :S3:! Another look could add a bit more of an outline to the body. I was just reading the blog you posted...looks like a wonderful time at Bosque this year.

Cheryl Slechta
12-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Artie, makes me relive the snow! Very cool minimalist image - leaves your mind to fill in the blanks.:S3:

Dennis Bishop
12-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Definitely an inspired idea. I have to wonder what it would be like with no color and maybe a heavy dose of snow flakes.

gary ellwein
12-06-2013, 02:08 AM
I'm fixated on the eye and the bill. A creative idea.

Arthur Morris
12-06-2013, 05:22 AM
Thanks all. The idea was inspired by a now famous and highly skilled student, Todd Gustafson. I am co-lead another summer safari to Tanzania with him this coming August. Todd created a mega-over-exposed tight face portrait of a Cheetah in bright sun . All that you could see were the red gums, the teeth, and the eyes....

Dennis--I will do a version where I do saturate the bill. Unless you can teach me how to do it in post, I cannot think of a way to show snow with light BKGRs--it shows up best against middle-toned or dark ones.

Diane Miller
12-06-2013, 01:32 PM
A fascinating idea, but I long to see just a little more hint of the body.

Kerry Perkins
12-06-2013, 02:09 PM
One word come to my mind - Zen. The concept of seeing that which cannot be seen (seeing the mind, seeing the breath) is a central concept of the practice. At first glance I thought it would good to see more of an outline, but I then realized how well this works as presented. Love it!

Arthur Morris
12-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks Diane and Kerry. The point is to not see the body at all :). Kerry, I hope that your Zen is in good working order :).

Dennis Bishop
12-06-2013, 04:02 PM
. . . Dennis--I will do a version where I do saturate the bill. Unless you can teach me how to do it in post, I cannot think of a way to show snow with light BKGRs--it shows up best against middle-toned or dark ones.

This example is just a rough attempt, but I'm guessing more convincing snow could be done. This one was accomplished by applying a Bevel & Emboss layer style to a white layer and using Divide blend mode. There are controls for adjusting the texture, and a couple textures with different sizes might do the trick.

Arthur Morris
12-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info Dennis. I surely looks more embossed than snow storm but I appreciate your effort.