PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Calibration

Martin Dunn
12-03-2013, 04:18 AM
For some years I have been using SpyderPro to calibrate my monitors.
I recently upgraded my operating software and had to get a new version of Spyderpro. (SpyderPro4Express)
I have used it to calibrate my monitor. It doesn't offer nearly as much control over the calibration as my previous version and - to my eye - the monitor picture now looks noticeably cooler than before. This will obviously affect how I process my photos.

Should I trust the calibration?

David Stephens
12-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Try a test conversion of a shot that you've already converted with the old calibration, then look at the results side by side on another monitor or device.

Diane Miller
12-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Even though you have been using the Spyder a while, are you sure your particular monitor is supported by that package?

Are you careful to keep the room fairly dark while calibrating, with no direct light on the screen?

The "lower end" packages have fewer options, but the ones they have as built-in defaults should be the correct ones. It should give you the color temp / white point to which it is set -- if not on the screen, somewhere on their web site. Were you calibrating to the same point before, when you had more options?

Unfortunately this stuff isn't as cut and dried as we could hope. You might resort to borrowing a different (and compatible) package from someone and checking results with it, to see if they agree.

If you do your own printing and have a good profile/paper combination, a properly done print should agree with the monitor -- as both should be an accurate reflection of the file.

Roman Kurywczak
12-08-2013, 10:35 PM
I use i1 display pro from xrite......and I do presentations to major organizations and groups ......so I calibrate to the highest standards.....if you don't print or want meticulous calibration on all fronts...then the colur monkey from xrite.....it is the way to go.