PDA

View Full Version : High Key Great Egret- St Augustine, FL

Shawn Marques
05-11-2008, 11:45 AM
My first try of this type of image. The sky conditions at the farm were clear and bright during most of the 4 days I spent there, so there was not much opportunity to play with white backgrounds. Unfortunately, most of my high key images came out very noisy- this photo had the least amount of noise. I’d love to know your thoughts on this. Thanks for taking a peek!

PS- To all the Moms in BPN land, have a happy Mother’s Day!

Canon 40D, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x
1/250s @ f/16.0, ISO 800
Taken hand-held

Steve Canuel
05-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Noise doesn't look too bad and if this is your first attempt at this, you did well. You captured the delicate details in the wings quite nicely.
Steve

Adams Serra
05-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Hey Shawn,
I like it a lot, wings fully extended and well composed. I am having the same kind of problems most of my images from the Farm have a lot of noise. I used the 40D and the MKIII and had the same results with booth bodies.

Adams

Maxis Gamez
05-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Hey Shawn,

Lovely wings and looks very sharp. I do would like to see the under wings a little more lit. I also see a blue cast on the shadows.

Happy mothers day to all BPN moms!

Alfred Forns
05-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Not bad at all Shawn It has a very nice feel !!!

btw no clue how you picked it up but it does have a strong cast Very easy to correct !!!

Shawn Marques
05-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks everyone! Here is the re-worked image with a color and a shadow correction. Better?

Dan O'Leary
05-11-2008, 08:41 PM
The repost is better. For your first try I think it's quite good. I'm no wizard at this but I think you could have gone with 1/500th, f/8 at ISO 400 for less noise and more sharpness without sacrificing important DOF.

I'm curious about your Falconry. Do you have a web page about it?

Shawn Marques
05-12-2008, 07:05 AM
The repost is better. For your first try I think it's quite good. I'm no wizard at this but I think you could have gone with 1/500th, f/8 at ISO 400 for less noise and more sharpness without sacrificing important DOF.

I'm curious about your Falconry. Do you have a web page about it?

Thanks, Dan, for your kind words and suggested settings. I will give it a try. But the f/16 setting was a mistake and I don't know how I managed to have the camera set at that!

My wife, Amy, is the falconer, and I'm sorry to say that we don't have a website. But if you have any questions, just ask away!