PDA

View Full Version : Black-necked Stilt on Foggy Morning, #2

Bill Dix
12-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Here's another from Palo Alto Baylands in October. Pretty close to FF except that I added a slivver of canvas on the left, cropped an equivalent amount off the right and a little off the top, and cloned out a piece of oof Willet in the ULC. Adjusted levels. C&C appreciated.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 800, 1/640s @ f/6.3

Joe Senzatimore
12-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Beautiful High key look and feel to this one. Gotta love the reflection and glad you kept it all in the image.

Miguel Palaviccini
12-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Bill,

Great to see such a nice reflection in the image. The high key look is nice, and the open beak is a bonus.

I might take a sliver off the top, and may also take a look at burning in the back just a bit. Otherwise, very nicely done.

Miguel

Daniel Cadieux
12-02-2013, 08:20 PM
I like the high-key effect, and I like the reflection. The pink legs look good among the rest of the quasi-monochromatic image. I now this is almost FF vertical but I think this particular elongated pose would have rendered itself well as an horizontal comp (should be easy with an all white BG!) I also wonder if there is any way to bring out at least a little bit of the red iris. Anyhow, very appealing image nonetheless...love the concentric circle in the water, neat touch!

Shawn Zierman
12-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Very nice image Bill. The exposure was well handled. Solid shooting angle. The reflection is quality and well handled in the composition, especially considering that this is close to full frame. Would like to see what fill flash could have done here, particularly to add a bit more life to the eye.

Bill Dix
12-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks Guys.

Daniel, I did try a horizontal version, without the reflection, shown here. I'm not sure if this is what you meant; or were you thinking of a horizontal with reflection. These birds have such exceptionally long legs that this version leaves no room for their virtual legs. I might take a look at a horizontal with reflection when I get a moment.

Shawn, I agree the eye is rather dull, given the lighting conditions. Fill flash might have helped.

Daniel Cadieux
12-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Bill yes, I meant horizontal with reflection.

Mike Landwehr
12-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Bill, while not usually a big fan of verticals, this one really works for me. I like the positioning of the bird in the frame, the open beak, and the reflection. The ripples from the water droplet, and the forward leaning position of the subject, both help avoid a static look. A little more light on the eye would have been a nice bonus.

Satish Ranadive
12-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Excellent high key image with nice reflection,Bill Sir. Love it.

Regards,
Satish.