PDA

View Full Version : Long Glacier

Anette Mossbacher
12-02-2013, 01:52 PM
We drove along this glacier for hours. We arrived when fog was present, after a while all lifted up, even the sun was able to show up here and there.

LR the usual I do and a tad more. PS CS6 Levels, curves, Mid-Tones, dodge/burn, sharpening in CS6. Full frame

1DX
17-40mm set to 40mm
f/18 1/250 ISO 400
from moving boat

dankearl
12-02-2013, 09:51 PM
I like the sky a lot above glacier and the glacier has a cool architectural look to it, almost perfect.
I think Some off the top for a more pano look would look good.

David Stephens
12-02-2013, 11:18 PM
You achieved a feeling of immense size with this perspective and lens choice. I agree with Dan that a different crop might give even more feeling of length. Maybe a 2:1 crop or a 2 to 5 crop would still show the sky enough, but emphasize the length more.

Don Nelson
12-03-2013, 12:51 AM
A 0.3 degree rotation will make the surfline on left actually level.
There is a lot of noise in the sky - particularly the upper right corner. If it were mine, and if I kept it the same time, I'd run a round of noise removal from the sky regions.
I think Dan is right, a crop down to about half the height really gives me a feel for the length of the glacier instead of having my eye focus on the sky.
I really do like the glacier portion of this image - processed just right IMHO. Gives me a feel for the hardness of the ice as well .

Anette Mossbacher
12-03-2013, 04:30 AM
Hi Dan, David and Don,

Thank you very much for your comments and the time you took for that. :S3:

Addressed the 0.3 crop/straightened as well the noise. Cropped it, as you see :w3
Since it was shot with ISO 400 / 1DX I did not pay much attention to it! It hows me, that I should pay attention in the future for Landscape and I will :bg3:

Thank you very much

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette :wave:

Don Railton
12-03-2013, 06:28 AM
I'm a bit late Anette, but I love the repost and agree with the crop off the top... The detail on the ice face is wonderful.

DON

Anette Mossbacher
12-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Hi Don,

no one is ever late :w3 in here is no deadline :S3:
Thanks so much for your time and comment :bg3:

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
12-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Hi Anette - Lots to like here. The detail on the face of the glacier, the differing shades of water, the clouds moving in and the angled comp all combine for a very pleasing image. RP takes it up a notch.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
12-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Many thanks Rachel for your comment and time to do so :bg3:
I just loved to do Landscape up there. Even thinking of just going up there for a few days for Landscape. It has so much to offer. I never was really "full" while eating the Landscape with my eyes.
Was just a pity in some spots that I was not able to use my filters here and there with a stable ground under my feet :bg3:
What was it again you said with your ship mates? Saying they do all in PS :w3

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

David Stephens
12-03-2013, 10:47 AM
I think that the crop really added to the sense of scale.

Steve Kaluski
12-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Hi Anette, is this the same ice wall as Rachel visited or the one I thought it was?

Well I like the OP as it just gives/illustrates just how vast this location is, however you need to visit this place just to see how these ice walls dwarf things. The colour and light work extremely well and the techs look great considering this is from a moving ship, albeit it very slowly, not the easiest of shots to pull off, especially when getting things level. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
12-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Hi Steve,

thank you very much. When I am correct with my map than this was Austfonna. We drove for hours along this one, coming from Kvitøya, the island with the ice cap as a hat :bg3:
We drove along it to south.
Will send you something, you might not have yet. I love it :w3

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
12-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks, it's a fantastic location, apparently the ice cap reaches over 800m above sea level, did you hear it carve at all?

BTW, your mole will be searching this too, so watch your firewalls!

Anette Mossbacher
12-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Steve, we did hear a few cracks, but nothing "chopped" off. Saw quite a few breaks happening on other glaciers where stopped. Was amazing to see. Yep have images :bg3:

Andrew McLachlan
12-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Hi Anette, apologies for late reply the first couple of days in the week are very hectic for me and just getting back from my 6 year old daughters dance class now...I like both versions...the crop version if I was printing big and the original post for publications due to the negative space that would permit lots of text. I noticed the noise in the original post but you have addressed this nicely in the repost. This is a very impressive chunk of ice...I hope to see it one day :S3:

Anette Mossbacher
12-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Hi Andrew,

thanks so much for your time and comment. Indeed it is a huge piece of ice. The Alp glaciers cannot compete at at with this one!!

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette