PDA

View Full Version : Two Giraffes

Hilary Hann
12-01-2013, 03:37 AM
It is hard to know what to do with animals in the middle of the day, as was this one. The blue sky was pale and uninteresting and the nearest giraffe had a heavy shadow down his neck so I've experimented a little with crop and processing. I love giraffes in black and white and because the composition is so stark, I went for a high contrast which rendered the sky almost white. I always intended this to go to black and white, but changed the crop to vertical from horizontal. I wanted the background giraffe to be out of focus.

1DX; EF200-400mm f4 EXT engaged; 560mm; ISO640; 1/640 @ f16

I realise that many will question the high ISO but I found it more versatile going from the heavy shade of midday then out into the bright light.

Steve Kaluski
12-01-2013, 05:27 AM
Hi Hilary, I quite like the composition and for me it has a hint of David Lloyd about it, but the heavy, dark shadows and blacks isn't quite cutting it for me. I do agree they do lend themselves to B/W and can be very graphic in their look.The RHS one almost has that statuesque carving we often see at the airports :bg3: You may wish just to look at your masking, as the bottom corner segment to me should be dark, not light as per the LH giraffe? Be interesting to see what would happen if you opened the blacks up a little?

With the 1DX ISO640 is really not high, my default is 800 and often shoot at 1600 or 2500, however if you wanted the BKG giraffe OOF why go for f/16, I though you could have easily used a wider DOF to get the same look? What was the EV set too?

TFS
Steve

Hilary Hann
12-01-2013, 06:44 AM
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the feedback. The bottom rhs is getting lighter because that's where the shadow stops. I cropped the back of the giraffe as it was in the sunlight as well and was that same brightness. I should have burned the lighter shoulder in, but never gave it a thought.

I understand your point on the heavy blacks, but when I processed the giraffe without them I really didn't like it as much. I'm guessing that most of the feedback will be similar re the heavy blacks so I may have to take the criticism on the chin. :)

F16 wasn't totally necessary but the background giraffe was quite a distance away and I didn't want him to become a fuzz ball, but I agree that I could have dropped it somewhat. I'm not the most technical photographer and provided I'm within my ballpark I tend to concentrate on mood and what may happen with the scene, so I often miss some of the changes that could improve things. I think I'm too old to change now, sadly. Frustrates me and everyone else!!!!

Steve Kaluski
12-01-2013, 06:55 AM
I'm guessing that most of the feedback will be similar re the heavy blacks so I may have to take the criticism on the chin. :)

Feedback is there to distill from, it's you choice in what you keep, and what you discard.

In light of what you said, perhaps f/16 was correct to avoid a 'blob', however as you were there, easier to know what to go for. Thee is nothing wrong with 'mood' settings, I just wish I could combine that with some of my images. Leopards & spots, went out with Rousey a while back and was only allowed to take the 70-200, with that discipline it makes you think about other ways to shoot!

Rachel Hollander
12-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Hi Hilary - I rather like the starkness of this. The comp works very well with the oof giraffe. I agree on burning that one piece in the lrc to darken it. I think you used the deep shadow to your advantage.

TFS,
Rachel

Carl Walker
12-01-2013, 10:25 AM
I think this is something quite different to what I have seen before and you have done well here Hilary. The oof giraffe definitely makes this work well for you. TFS

Andreas Liedmann
12-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Hi Hillary,
like it as presented, i am more open minded now , thanks to Mr D.

Like the image design with the OOF giraffe adding depth to the image.Like the tones , think you made the best out of the lightning situation.
Only suggestion i have is lighten that eye a tad, to make it a bit more visible, even if it is looking good for print:w3, here it needs a bit more life, for my eyes:bg3:.

TFS Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
12-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi Hilary,
the comp works for me very well. The darks for sure do, love it that way, as well that the BG giraffe is not so "present" in this image like the FG giraffe.
Had a laugh about Andreas "alive eyes" I get that also from him, but he does not tell the how to :t3

Have a great day :bg3:

Ciao Anette

Hilary Hann
12-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Thank you everyone, lots of very helpful comments. I will go back and tidy some things up so very grateful.

Steve, I find that there are some very helpful exercises when in the field to change the way I look at comps just by changing lens. Despite loving the 200-400, I've come home with some of my best images from the 70-200 and the 17-40. I think I need a second body, a 5d3 would be fine, so that I can have a second lens attached to increase flexibility. I did have the 7D ready as a second body, but who wants to use it along side the 1DX!!!! Terry has a different way of shooting, using his Fuji X Pro 1 set to show b&w more often than his 5d2 and he is seeing the scenes completely differently. Quite an eye opener and made me think.

Martin Dunn
12-02-2013, 07:04 AM
I like it Hilary. I think the shades and tones on the RH giraffe are super, I only wish the the LH giraffe, even though it is OOF, could be a bit darker to echo the shades of the one on the right.

Andrew McLachlan
12-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Hi Hilary, I love the high-key look to this B&W conversion. I think it is a very effect way to present it. The OOF fella is also in the perfect position to add depth. Very well done !

Steve Uffman
12-23-2013, 11:06 PM
I liked the part about the hint of David Lloyd! :bg3:

Hilary Hann
12-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks Martin, Andrew and Steve.