PDA

View Full Version : Gimbal Head on a Monopod?

Matt Schwartz
12-01-2013, 02:54 AM
Hey all. Occasionally I've seen some pics of people using a gimbal head on a monopod (with a supertelephoto lens). I'm wondering what your take is on that setup. I've used a gimbal on a tripod as usual, and separately I've used monopod with a monopod tilt head. The largest lens I've used on either setup is the minuscule 400 5.6L. I have no idea what the combo of gimbal/monopod might feel like, but it seems like it would be really difficult to reliably control, especially with big glass like a 500 f4 (not that I've used that lens YET). Please let me know your experience, opinion, etc. Thank you!

Matt Schwartz
12-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks Peter

Jim Longworth
12-08-2013, 08:27 PM
A gimbal head such as the Mongoose 3.6 quite effectively doubles as a tilt head on a monopod, just lock the panning base. Then no need to buy another bit of kit.

Matt Schwartz
12-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks Jim. My 500 f4 will be here tomorrow, so I'll test it on the monopod tilt head that I have and see how it feels. If it doesn't work well, I'll look into something like you mentioned.

James Shadle
12-09-2013, 12:20 AM
I have used a gimbal head on a monopod that was mounted on my boat's deck.
Otherwise I prefer the Really Right Stuff Tripod Head. It is the type of head Peter mentioned.

Matt Schwartz
12-09-2013, 12:49 AM
James, thanks for your input. Thanks again to all. --

Below is the monopod head that I current own, which supports up to 33lbs (and I have a beefy monopod paired with it) With the 500 f4, of course, I would not be using the plate shown, but will be locking the Really Right Stuff replacement lens foot directly into the monopod head clamp. I also own a Wimberley WH200 which will most likely stay paired with my tripod. I've never used or even held big glass, so when my 500 f4 arrives tomorrow, I am probably in for a shock. I have done lots of research, measurements, seen pics, etc but still it will probably be something to get used to (compared to 400 f5.6L now).

http://siruiprofessionaltripods.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/l-10b01.jpg

Robert Hardy
12-15-2013, 09:11 AM
I use a sidemount Gimbal on my Monopod ,have done for years .

Rob.