PDA

View Full Version : Ross's Goose T Shot

Arthur Morris
11-30-2013, 05:56 PM
This Ross’s Goose image was also created at Bosque del Apache NWR on the very early morning of November 22, 2013, this one with the hand held Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Lens with Internal 1.4x Extender (with the internal TC in place at 513mm) and the Canon EOS-1D X. ISO 500. Evaluative metering +1 2/3 stops as framed in Av Mode:1/5000 sec. at f/5.6.

Central sensor/AI Servo/Surround–Rear Focus AF as framed active at the moment of exposure. Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/10/31/if-this-doesnt-get-the-point-across-nothing-will/) to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Learn more about a great day in the snow at Bosque at "Beyond Spectacular Part I" here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/11/26/beyond-spectacular-part-i/).

Don't by shy; all comments welcome.

Henry Domke
11-30-2013, 08:39 PM
For my taste the image appears a bit flat and too warm. Check out the histogram and you should see what I mean. I increased the contrast with a levels adjustment and tweaked the color.
What do you think? Better or worse?

dankearl
11-30-2013, 08:54 PM
I like the repost, glad to see a few more Bosque photos.
Arthur, I have been viewing your site to see a bit of Bosque this year. Other than Doug Browns photos, not many posted.
A pleasure viewing, especially the snow scene.

Steve Kaluski
12-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Hi Artie, like the incoming pose and flight angle on this one.

For me it's the OP that nails it all round and the reasons are two fold:

The background has that nice winter warm feel, shot mid to late afternoon, an hour or so before it sets and softness the image, where as the RP is just too cold and stark with an almost white backdrop.

Secondly, again the subject has those soft creams and off whites which, although nicely subtle give some depth and tone to the plumage and layering of the wings, juxtapose agin, to the almost stark whites in the RP.

So for me it's about capturing the winter warmth, soft tones within the image.

TFS
Steve

vishaljadhav
12-01-2013, 12:36 PM
The pose in the frame is interesting, guess this is the only one that may look interesting
i like the warm tone

Karl Egressy
12-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Nice diagonal, fully stretched wing pose captured well.

Arthur Morris
12-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks Guys. I like both versions but prefer the original post.

Arthur Morris
12-01-2013, 07:43 PM
ps to Henry: thanks for the repost :).