PDA

View Full Version : Common Tigertail

Carl Walker
11-30-2013, 10:20 AM
This an image from a while back when I was still figuring out things.

HH
7D - my "macro" 300mm f2.8L IS USM MK II plus 2 x extender MK III
ISO 800 - f5,6 - 1/4000 sec

LR5 basics
PSE 9 - LM and adjustment layers, levels, Nik Efex Pro - detail extractor 25% - USM

C&C welcome

Jonathan Ashton
12-01-2013, 09:13 AM
A very nice shot indeed, I sense the blacks are a little heavy and the tail is just a fraction OOF - minor nits a very good image. I know I sound like a parrot but I would love to see one without the Nik effect filter - I may be wrong but it is my guess this is what is making it a bit heavy and contrasting.

Mitch Haimov
12-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Very cool dragon, Carl; I've not seen this species before. Very interesting patterns on thorax, and the very striking eye came out quite well indeed (without that appearance of softness that so often occurs with in-focus dragon fly eyes). Your slightly out of square POV works well compositionally, but results in softness at the aft end of the abdomen. A very pleasing image. IMHO, the comp would be stronger with the subject much higher and slightly further back in the frame, which would also avoid clipping the base of the flower (receptacle).

Daniel Cadieux
12-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I love the colours you got here, both on the subject and in the BG (although some of the bigger streaks could be softened in there). I agree pointing your lens down a tad would have been great here to get the subject higher in the frame with more perch showing. Quite sharp and the eyes are spectacular.

Steve Maxson
12-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Hi Carl. Love those eyes! Nice overall sharpness - the slight softness at the tip of the abdomen is not bothering me - and the background is pleasantly OOF. I would agree that this image would be even stronger if the subject was higher in the frame with more of the perch showing at the bottom. Overall, this is very nicely done!

Carl Walker
12-11-2013, 01:19 AM
A bit late getting back here. Thanks all for the comments and I will work on the points mentioned.

Jonathon I very seldom use Nik Efex but I will look at it from your point of view. Thinking back I was trying to tone down the highlights running the length of the tail by burning them, I think this is what darkened the blacks. Anyway I will work it out. Thanks