PDA

View Full Version : Theme image: Enchanted Woods

Judy Howle
11-29-2013, 12:46 PM
I am thankful for spending a couple of hours in "dreary" Cades Cove in the rain last year and managing to come out with a few photos that I really like that show the beauty of nature even under poor weather conditions with a little bit of creative processing. This image was made with rain sheeting down the windshield in the parking lot of the campground area with colorful trees in the background, which I enhanced to bring out the colors.

I posted a Halloween version of this image with the cat and the bird. This one only has a bird, a crow I guess. I used SnapArt 4 on that base image to produce this one, with the Stylize filter on a duplicate of the original layer and blended at low opacity. I added the bird and bushes in foreground with brushes.

Dennis Bishop
11-29-2013, 07:33 PM
The combined effects of the rain on the windshield and what you did in processing make this unique. The colors pop off the screen without being overpowering. Especially because of the difference in texture, the crow and bushes in the foreground are a nice touch.

I'm glad you specifically mentioned Snap Art 4. I knew it was on its way but didn't realize it was here, already. I've downloaded the trial and am anxious to see how it compares to the previous version.

Judy Howle
11-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the nice comment Dennis! I have only used v. 4 on 2 images so far and will reserve judgement on the filters although the interface is much improved. I got it free since I purchased v. 3 in Aug or Sept.

Nancy Bell
12-01-2013, 05:59 PM
This was great as a Halloween image and still great for this theme! The black silhouettes of trees, brush and the crow ground the wonderful vibrant colors and their abstract nature. Nice touch to have the eye show in the crow.

Cheryl Slechta
12-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Beautiful colors and effects, Judy. I love the crow:S3:

Anita Bower
12-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Wonderful sweep of color. The bird is positioned just right. I think it is wonderful that you can be grateful for what must have been a disappointment--rain at Cades Cove.

Judy Howle
12-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks Anita! Yes, it was a disappointment. We went there twice and it was raining both times. The first time we just drove down Sparks Lane and left as it was raining too hard. I jumped out and made a few photos and then wiped the camera off! Thank goodness the 5D Mk II and lens are weatherproof. The 2nd time I just shot out the window or in this case, through the windshield, but I got a handful of photos I like from the 2 visits.

Wonderful sweep of color. The bird is positioned just right. I think it is wonderful that you can be grateful for what must have been a disappointment--rain at Cades Cove.

Judy Howle
12-03-2013, 03:14 PM
For anyone who may still look at this image, I printed some of these on note cards and they look great! Also printed the hummer and cardinal cards and after a few trial and error adjustments, they look good too.

Anita Bower
12-03-2013, 03:37 PM
For anyone who may still look at this image, I printed some of these on note cards and they look great! Also printed the hummer and cardinal cards and after a few trial and error adjustments, they look good too.
Good for you. You inspired me to create more cards from my photos. :-)

Judy Howle
12-03-2013, 08:40 PM
That's great Anita! You have so many lovely images that would make beautiful cards.