PDA

View Full Version : Osprey

gail bisson
11-29-2013, 08:24 AM
I have been going through old images from 2010 when I started avian photography and I had a 7D and a 100-400.
Most of the shots are real dogs with wonky, crazy settings but I found a couple worth keeping.
I took this image during Jim Neigers' Osprey workshop in Florida. During this workshop I met Tin Man Lee (winner of nature's best grand Prize this year) and Clemens Van der Werf , another nature's best winner last year and this year. Makes me think I have to step up my game!:tinysmile_shy_t:
Canon 7D
100-400 at 235mm
ISO 800
F5 @ 1/1250
Almost full frame with a bit off the top and bottom. 6:05AM
PP: Crop, NR to BG, levels, a bit of increased saturation, DE at 4%, USM on JPEG
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Bill Jobes
11-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Love this one, Gail. I'm a big fan of ospreys, and I always appreciate outstanding photos of them, such as is this one.

Everything came together in the field. The bird cooperated with a dramatic wingspread that seems in perfect symmetry with the elongated branch.

You finished the job with a skillful, slight top and bottom crop to lend a near-pano presentation that perfectly complements the osprey and the horizontal perch.

The only additional thing I would consider, and only consider, is to remove the thin dangling item just below the bird. I can't tell if it's vegetation or a fishing line.

This post is a great reminder for all of us to look back over long-past photo folders. I'm sure many have some worthy candidates in there that didn't make the first pass after a long day in the field. :S3:

Marina Scarr
11-29-2013, 10:53 AM
It's always fun to revisit old images. You can really tell how far you've come. Lovely light here and makes a great pano.

Holger Leyrer
11-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Wonderful Image. I lIke the light and the great wing pose on this super perch

Jonathan Ashton
11-30-2013, 05:22 AM
Lovely light and a nice pose - full frame at 235mm - something I could only dream of!!

Karl Egressy
11-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Beautiful image Gail. I think the great light makes it shine. Also, the perch is very nice, so is the pose.

keith mitchell
11-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Gail recon it's all been said it really looks great to me.

Keith.:S3:

Stu Bowie
11-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Hi Gail, sweet, sweet light, and I like the slight head turn. Super pose from the Osprey, and I like how the shape of the wings follow closely to the line of the perch. The warm colours from the light look good, overall well exposed, and you nailed the comp. Well captured.

Enrique Patino
11-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi Gail. I have been doing the same - looking at older files from 2-3 years ago when I started, now that I can do better at PP...

I like your pano crop and comp, the colors and details...

vishaljadhav
11-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Superb light , the open wings makes it interesting
perch adds a lot to the over all frame

Daniel Cadieux
11-30-2013, 05:39 PM
The curvature of the perch goes well with the lines of the wingspread! Comp looks great, and looks like you had sweet light. I like Bill's suggestion of perhaps removing the scraggly piece dangling from the branch.