PDA

View Full Version : Sharp-shinned Hawk or Cooper's Hawk.

Karl Egressy
11-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Sorry about the substandard image. I removed one large branch running parallel to the perch branch and it shows.
Also I was shooting right against the light from my open sliding door.
The reason for posting: I would like to know if it is a SSHA or COHA (also see title).
I sent it to a bird expert friend already but he was not sure.
Any suggestion?
Thanks.

Canon 1D MVI
Canon 500 f4.0 held vertical.
ISO 800
f7.1
1/640 s

John Robinson
11-28-2013, 06:30 PM
No ideawhat species Karl but its a pretty nice image. Very much like our Sparrow Hawk (male)
I can't see a branch removal problem myself.
Cheers
JR

dankearl
11-28-2013, 08:11 PM
I can't tell the branch removal, the side/back lighting was not your friend, but sharp and nice details.
Sharp shins are smaller but hard to tell from your photo which one this is.

Marina Scarr
11-28-2013, 08:43 PM
I think you've done a good job on this image, Karl. Good job on getting the back lighting effect. Super pose and nice color palate. I think I would sharpen the bird's head a tad more.

Carmelo Cannova
11-28-2013, 10:39 PM
It is a adult Sharpy for sure and a beautiful one.

Carmelo

Karl Egressy
11-29-2013, 02:40 AM
It is a adult Sharpy for sure and a beautiful one.

Carmelo

Thanks Carmelo. I know you are an expert on Raptors and your opinion is well appreciated.

Steve Kaluski
11-29-2013, 03:44 AM
Hi Karl, I quite like the pose and side on profile, as it shows the subject off well, likewise the mottled BKG ties in well with the plumage. I might look to adding some mid tone to get a bit more from within the subject, likewise adding a Curves adjustment to define some plumage. But this would be done selectively via masks, plus adding some more USM helps too, IMHO. Sadly the cloning which is very visible, detracts for me.

TFS
Steve

gail bisson
11-29-2013, 06:36 AM
Hi Karl,
I too, have difficulty, telling the difference between a sharpie or Cooper's.
I agree with your assessment re: the cloning but that is an easy correct to make.
Looks pretty good considering you were shooting into the light! If you are keeping this one I would sharpen the hed.
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
11-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Critique-wise I see the cloning marks too and wish the HA was a wee bit better (not much more needed), but what is remarkable to me is that the lighting works!

Sharpie or Cooper's? Can't say for sure...adult for sure though with the deep red eye. Was it about the size of a Blue Jay or Mourning Dove, or bigger?

Sandy Witvoet
11-29-2013, 05:26 PM
I would say that this a nice adult Sharpie...judging by size of branch to bird/legs, more diminuitive head without the "angry cap" that Coops generally have, and notched tail with minimal white tail band, with a bit "looser" dark stripes in the tail than a Coop will usually show. Difficult to capture an adult accipiter, since, in my experience, they have "been around" enough to be pretty wary of people... unless they are in a "city" location. I am seeing the cloning on the left as well as a clone remnant (vertical stripe) on the right side... should be easy to blend back in. Rather harsh light which is lighting up the edges/top of the bird...not sure what to do about that... Really great to capture one that's not TOTALLY obscured by branches! :S3:

Karl Egressy
11-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Thank you all. I'm glad it is a Sharpie for the sake of my wife who had no shot of this species before this bird showed up in our backyard.

Miguel Palaviccini
11-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Very nice Karl. Just a little more work with the clone stamp tool and you've got yourself a keeper.