Goldfinch
Usual pool set up.
Nikon D7100
DX mode

Nikor 70-300 F 4.5
120th @f9
800 ISO
80 % of full frame.
21 focus points !! Just read the bookand found it has the same focus set up as the D7 Must read instructios more often !! Will try some flight stuff when the weather gets a bit better.
Paint Shop Pro
Neat Image/Image guru
Thanks for Hawfinch comments. Lot more where they came from but don'twant to bore you !!:Whoa!:
All have a good time by the way.
Cheers
JR

Karl Egressy
11-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Great pose, super sharpness and excellent details, John.

Jim Crosswell
11-28-2013, 08:15 PM
I like the feather detail, sharpness, HA and setting. Well done John.

Marina Scarr
11-28-2013, 08:45 PM
You've nailed the exposure and IQ on this bird. The pose and colors are great. Environment works well but I think more calm water would be less distracting to your subject.

John Robinson
11-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks both. Thanks for the "John" Jim - I had to use "Johhnny " because the other name was gone. A 75 year old "Johnny" is daft !!!
Here,s a pic of the puddle set up.
As you can see the water is only a couple of feet across and the hide (been there 40 years ) is pretty close. (6feet)
Cheers
JR

Roy Priest
11-28-2013, 08:57 PM
John, sorry I haven't commented on more of the series at the "pond". I've really enjoyed seeing the beautiful birds of my childhood. The pond looks much better in close up pictures.:S3:

John Robinson
11-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Good point Marina
Trouble is, there are other birds there as well which can mess things uo, !! I often feel like shooting them !!!
Cheers' John

vishaljadhav
11-29-2013, 05:08 AM
Lovely picture, superb IQ and nice colours
After seeing the setup it think its fantastic. 6 feet is so close probably would need a 12mm extension tube on my 400 to get there :)
i am loving the series John , very nearly done

gail bisson
11-29-2013, 06:47 AM
Hi John,
I think this is lovely and I am so glad you showed us your hide.
Absolutely incredible how small this area is. I think you should add a beautiful textured branch for the birds to land on ( and change it out frequently) before they go to the water. Just make sure the BG is pretty.
With an area like this that attracts so many birds you should buy Alan Murphy's book. You could crank out some even more superb images with a bit of Alan Murphy magic!
gail

Martin Dunn
11-29-2013, 08:22 AM
John your goldfinch is wonderful. Seeing your hide and the 'pond' really puts things into perspective. What a simple setup, yet so productive.

John Robinson
11-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks all.
Gail I do use perches and a branch off the tree above with leaves on. I re arrange them most sesssions, but haven't got around to posting any yet.
Cheers
JR