PDA

View Full Version : Waders

Jonathan Ashton
11-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Tripod Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 & 1.4 TC 1 ISO 400 + 1'3 1/160 sec f8 - converted to monochrome.

I welcome your comments in retrospect I think I should have focused on the golden plover in the foreground on the left.

Marina Scarr
11-27-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't know much about this kind of image, but my first thought is that I really like it. You have a clean bottom and then distinct layers. Not sure if it might be a little more powerful with some strategically placed dodging and burning. I'll be looking forward to other comments from other photographers.

Steve Kaluski
11-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi Jonathan, overall it seems a tad dark & flat. The histogram does fall short, but just bring the white in, it starts to clip at around 250, therefore I wonder about, dare I say, cranking up the Brightness to bring some Tonal contrast in, WDYT? I like the fact you have a sliver of water at the foot to separate the subjects. Keep thinking of the Danny Green image.:bg3:

Personally I'm not sure about going the route of B/W and what it brings to the overall image, might be with also posting a colour version too, however you may like to wait for more input.

Nice to have a comparison, cheers.

TFS
Steve

vishaljadhav
11-27-2013, 01:24 PM
This image appeals to me for the kind of the image, monochrome is best choice in here
i guess its with our eyes something we like and we don't want to know the reason for it, this is to me that kind of a image, just like it the way it is

Holger Leyrer
11-27-2013, 04:37 PM
My first thought was: wow !!
Jonathan, this is a great image outside the mainstream.

Jamie Douglas
11-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Super image Jonathan, love the motion blur but only wish the DOF was a little more towards the front of the image as I see the birds sharpen up the deeper your eye is drawn into the image and I'd prefer it the other way around.

Great work though.

Jamie

Jonathan Ashton
11-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I did of course initially make a colour image but the day and the light was rather drab - so the birds were, hence the monochrome version. I did check the histogram and I sometimes think we can become a slave to it - I certainly can, I just ended up processing to produce what I thought was a visually eye catching image. I still think it is a pity I did not get the foreground birds sharp.

keith mitchell
11-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Jonathan I keep coming back to have a look at this and agree with you I think if the FG birds where a bit more in focus it would just lift what is already a good image to another level.

Keith.

John Robinson
11-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Can't make my mind up on this one Jon. I know its been done many times but I can't seem to find anything to put my eyse to if you know what I mean, I agree the foreground birds in focus would maybe help- I don't know . Certainly one to talk about one way or the other.
JR

Marina Scarr
11-29-2013, 11:00 AM
I put the pic into Nik software and came up with this rendition. Don't know much about their programs but clicked on all of the choices until I round one I liked better than your OP.

Jonathan Ashton
11-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks Marina you have given me something to think about.