PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Grey Heron

Stu Bowie
11-26-2013, 10:45 PM
I finally got my hands on a 300mm F/2.8 MK I lens last week, and although 2nd hand, I will put it to good use. Most of these incoming shots at this location are against a sky BG, but sometimes with a bit of positioning, and a different angle from the Herons, you end up with a foliage BG.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 +2X TC 600mm
1/2500
F/7.1
ISO 640

Manual exposure
hand held

John Robinson
11-27-2013, 05:03 AM
Grand shot.
Love those thighs !!
Cheers
JR

Steve Kaluski
11-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Hi Stu, great to see you putting the new bit of kit to use so quickly, it's a cracking lens and will certainly elevate you photography and mean you can nail more of those images, especially those just out of reach before.

Like the incoming approach & stretched out wings showing that lovely plumage, illustrates the depth within them. Personally I would try adjusting both the Yellow & Green in HSL to lift the green, for me it looks a tad flat, just increasing the three sliders just enriches the foliage and bring things up a tad. Might want to check the whites on the head and neck?

TFS
Steve

gail bisson
11-27-2013, 06:39 AM
This is really nice Stuart.
I am glad you finally got your 300mm. I am looking forward to seeing some awesome shots from you.
The IQ is great and love the wing spread and the dainty feet.
Always a bonus to get a BG with foliage,
Gail

Stu Bowie
11-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Personally I would try adjusting both the Yellow & Green in HSL to lift the green, for me it looks a tad flat, just increasing the three sliders just enriches the foliage and bring things up a tad.

Thanks Steve. The original had a lot of yellow in the greens, and thought it needed toning down which I did, but maybe too much. :w3

Thank you Gail and Johnny for your feedback.

arash_hazeghi
11-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Great landing pose with sharp details and a good BG. highlights are tad hot, I'd tone them down a bit

Jim Crosswell
11-27-2013, 10:55 AM
I like the pose, sharpness, details and composition. I agree with toning the highlights down. Congrats on the new lens Stuart.

Jonathan Ashton
11-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi Stu, unusual for me but I would suggest slight modification to the greens - they look a bit washed out to me and the brightest highlights appear just a tad hot. Other than that a super image - love the action.

Richard Flack
11-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Beautiful image Stuart! Great flight pose and excellent IQ. Where did you take it?

Stu Bowie
11-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Where did you take it?

Thanks Richard. Taken at LC ( University of Pretoria's sports ground ) There is a small island in the middle of the small dam, and the herons and Egrets come and go, returning to their nests.

vishaljadhav
11-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Lovely IQ, the green BG makes the heron stand out very well
the wing spread pose is very nicely captured , i love it

Holger Leyrer
11-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Great landing pose and details. I like the green background in contrast to the heron

Sidharth Kodikal
11-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Excellent pose and exposure. Great IQ, as always and a nice green bg. Congrats on the new toy, Stu, and looking forward to more.

Sandy Witvoet
11-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Fantastic "incoming"! Wings, thighs and legs are awesome! Great HA. BG a bit bright for me too. Well done!