PDA

View Full Version : Dunlin

Bill Dix
11-26-2013, 10:27 AM
From Moss Landing, CA last month. I'm not too sure about the wave-altered reflection, but kept the image because I liked the morsel of food. C&C appreciated.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 800, 1/2000s @ f/7.1 manual.

Steve Kaluski
11-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Hi Bill, really like the delicate detail you captured in the image, especially in the bill & plumage. The soft tones & hues of the blues of the water work well and I like the warmth reflected in the whites of the underbody, blacks look spot on. I also like the slight diagonal of the gentle waves both in front & rear. Having the morsel of food in the slightly open beak is the icing for me.

My only wish, and perhaps a personal one, is to have all the reflection in, may be you have and have cropped it?

TFS
Steve :cheers:

John Robinson
11-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Have to say Bill - the reflection does put me off a little, but I have this thing about refections anyway (had it for years)
Still a fine image though.( Maybe a teeny bit more space left (or off right) Most of my Dunlin are doing 90 miles an hour !!
Cheers
JR

keith mitchell
11-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Hi Bill, apart from the chopped off reflection I would have liked to see it all,the bird looks really good and the food item is a bonus.

Keith.

Bill Dix
11-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys. Here's a repost showing the whole reflection. You can probably see why I cropped it, but maybe you'll like this better. Let me know.

Steve Kaluski
11-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi Bill, I do, but perhaps say approx 0.5 inch off the foot. I've left it FF on the width as you can then decide. Personally I think both posts have merits, but it's a tough call. :w3

cheers
Steve

gail bisson
11-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Hi Bill,
This is a tough one re: crop but I think your OP is the best option.
I really like the soft light and the excellent detail on the dunlin.
My favorite part of this image is the wake from the bill dipping into the water,
Gail

Miguel Palaviccini
11-26-2013, 10:25 PM
The morsel of food does it for me too. I agree with Gail about the original being the best option, specifically because you don't get the double head reflection.

Miguel

Daniel Cadieux
11-27-2013, 12:37 PM
I agree the reflection is not exactly the best you could hope for (which is bad luck as the image itself is nice), but the repost(s) feel much more balanced as far as comp goes. The OP has the subject too low on the frame. Nice light, and I like the undulating water (to the detriment of the reflection).

Satish Ranadive
12-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Very sweet Image , Bill Sir.

Regards,
Satish.