PDA

View Full Version : Start of another day

Hilary Hann
11-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Never know what to name these images so sorry for the unimaginative titles.

Early in the morning with the sun just rising, Kitirua Conservancy, Kenya.

1DX; 70-200 @ 200; ISO 1250; 1/800 @ f3.2.

Steve Kaluski
11-26-2013, 05:39 AM
Nice, clean and simple Hilary. Like the 'galloping' motion and the kicked up dust. Good position in frame and I like the sun partially visible in the sky. Taken in early morning light it's going to be flat, but depending on what/how you want to portray it, a slight tweak again in two Exp sliders really makes the whole image pop, but still retaining the majority of the original qualities.

TFS
Steve

Hilary Hann
11-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Thanks Steve, I'll give it another tweak but I obviously have a thing with flat images.

Rachel Hollander
11-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Hi Hilary - nice galloping pose and sense of movement. The visible sun adds a nice element and so do the antelopes in the bg. I understand your point from the other day about prints but for presentation on the web I agree that it could use a slight lift.

TFS,
Rachel

Martin Dunn
11-26-2013, 07:56 AM
Lovely markings on your giraffe and capturing her running with the kicked up dust creates a neat image. I also like the pale sun but overall the image is a wee bit flat.

edwardselfe
11-26-2013, 09:07 AM
I can just see how beautiful this scene would have been. And it's one of the cruelties of photog that cameras can't capture what we can see. however, in line with other suggestions, I think you could boost this a little to get an image that looks more like what you saw, and still look natural. I think you might try to darken the sky a little (including the sun) and raise the contrast elsewhere and see where that gets you.

The technical side and the vision to take the shot were spot on imo.
Ed

Gabriela Plesea
11-26-2013, 02:43 PM
I like your giraffe very much, but I am also very taken with the landscape, Hilary! Good advice above by Steve and I would "tweak" some more until the subject stands out to a greater extent…Great to see you posting so many different images, looking forward to more:w3

Kind regards,

Anette Mossbacher
11-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Hi Hilary,

many has said above. I just give my 5 Rappen ( Swiss money :w3 ) I really do like this giraffe running, also that 2 legs are up in the air with the dust. Very nice image. I am sure when you have done the adjustments it will look great.
Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Hilary Hann
11-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the comments. I've upped the contrast a little … too much or too little?

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-27-2013, 03:57 AM
Hilary, you did very well giving the light and the sun does add interest. I like your RP better.

Anette Mossbacher
11-27-2013, 04:10 AM
Hi Hilary,

would be tempted to add a tad more. Would let it sit for 1-2 hours and come back to have another look, or next day. Our eyes adjust to fast and love to show us what we want to see :w3

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Andreas Liedmann
11-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Hi Hilary,
quite like the framing , the running giraffe and the kicked up dust, plus the the sun `high`above the horizon barely visible.
I quite like the RP for its more tonal depth.
What bothers me a wee bit is , that the giraffe is running away from you, in a better world , we sit there and let the subjects passing us, in hope they will do so, but that is in a perfect world……, just a minor thing.

Still like this one.

TFS Andreas

Hilary Hann
11-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Thanks Andreas, the giraffe was running parallel to our vehicle, it must be an optical illusion that makes it look like she is moving away. I have a long series of frames and she doesn't move away from us at any stage.

Steve Canuel
12-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Cool spot pattern on this one Hilary and I like the little flip of the rear hoof. RP contrast looks good. Not having anything else of any height in the frame accentuates how tall these guys are.