PDA

View Full Version : Frozen In Time.

Daniel Cadieux
11-25-2013, 06:37 PM
I went to one of my favorite parks along the Ottawa River last Thursday hoping for some waterfowl in the two ponds there. The two ponds had frozen solid overnight thus nothing in them, except a few gulls roosting atop the ...ice. A bit discouraged I went to the edge of the river to see what was there, and low and behold there was the most amazing natural ice spectacle I had ever seen!! As I love photographing ice I was in seventh heaven and spent the next few hours exploring patterns and also came across some vegetation fully encased in it. How cool, literally.:S3:

Can anyone see the frozen long-legged rabbit?

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/250s., f/9, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, FF, for ice photography the "clarity" slider in LR works amazing wonders thus lots of it used (+50 or so).

Mitch Haimov
11-25-2013, 09:23 PM
I agree ice makes a great subject, Daniel. And this is certainly an eye-catching example. Aren't you glad you took your macro lens out on a bird photography expedition! Looks like you could have used a little more DOF--furthest back ice form seems slightly soft. Still, a very interesting image as is. Recommend darkening brightest portions of BG, primarily to right of subject, as they are a bit distracting.

Yes, I see your rabbit.

Diane Miller
11-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Absolutely incredible!! From the thumbnail I though you had been reduced to shooting ice sculptures. (Well, apparently that was about right.)

David Stephens
11-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Love the rabbit.

Gabriela Plesea
11-26-2013, 03:50 PM
I too love the rabbit! Are you sure it's not a baby squirrel?:bg3:

Brilliant image Daniel, so much beauty in Nature and you have the gift to capture and present it so well!

Warmest regards,

Carl Walker
11-30-2013, 09:48 AM
This is amazing Daniel, very well captured. I have never experienced these extreme cold temperatures so I think this is extraordinary. Its is brilliant along with the rabbit:bg3:

Don Jacobs
11-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Great Capture Daniel:) The rabbit caught my eyes first.

Jonathan Ashton
12-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Lovely shot spot on exposure, because it is such an unusual shot I think I would play around with the background to make it less obtrusive. Thanks for the Clarity tip!

Steve Maxson
12-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Hi Daniel. A very cool natural ice sculpture - and I love the rabbit! (or is it a short-nosed moose?:S3:) I like the comp, exposure, and ground-level shooting angle. I'll have to try your clarity tip - we have lots of ice around here!

Sandy Witvoet
12-05-2013, 06:03 PM
BEAUTIFUL frozen Bunny Daniel! The frozen red berries really add the right punch without being too pronounced. DOF is perfect for this image. BG works great for me. Bunny HAS to have SOME environment! Totally love it!