PDA

View Full Version : European Nuthatch

christopher galeski
11-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Shot taken this morning in my local wood,Lancashire England,cannon 500mm IS L F4,7D,was lead in grass,with lens resting on my bins with wooly hat on top,sharpened and cropped,touch of levels,iso400,F4.5,1/2500S.Thanks for looking.

Steve Kaluski
11-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Hi Christopher, classic pose of this little fellow and for me, a killer BKG.

With the cold crisp mornings we are getting, the light can be quite warming, but I think it does look quite saturated and that might just mean adjusting the WB and ensuring it's an SRGB file. Adjusting both of these initially really bring up the overall image nicely IMHO. I like the curvature of the log and for me it works well in the corner allowing the wee chappie to get that hunker down posture. Adding a mid tone Curves adjustment to the dark grey plumage and dropping the Blue bring out more detail too, likewise adding some more selective USM also brings out the very fine detail you capture originally. I would also suggest some NR for the BKG even with such a low ISO, although is this a large crop?

Chris I really like it, but with some simple tweaks will rally move it up a gear.

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
11-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Hi Chris, the grey and orange colours on this fellow go well together, and I like what looks like a 'pre take off'. Lots of character on the perch, and agree, some NR on the BG wont harm the image.

Jonathan Ashton
11-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Very nice shot Chris an elegant pose, I appreciate the time of day but perhaps a tad yellow? I would also check the contrast/curves on the bird to help make it pop - just a little that's all.

christopher galeski
11-26-2013, 02:06 AM
Thanks for comments,I was no more than 12ft from this bird,when I adjust my images in PS cc,my images are well sharp and I give a bit more sharpening for the web,but from PS to my folder, they seem to lose a lot of sharpnes,this image of the nuthatch was so sharp you could cut your fingers on it,but it does not now.Any help please.

Steve Kaluski
11-26-2013, 03:01 AM
Chris, either drop me a PM with your workflow from FINAL, master file to saving for web, or we could talk? Can email you my thinking on the Nuthatch if it helps.

Steve

Marina Scarr
11-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Lovely light and pose. I might take a tad off of the top and left. I'll leave you in great hands with Steve on the workflow.

Daniel Cadieux
11-26-2013, 12:34 PM
I love the perch, subject, light. I agree with a bit of NR to the BG and some off the top and left, and a tiny bit more head turn towards us would have been awesome. Was this a setup with seeds?

Jim Crosswell
11-26-2013, 08:28 PM
I like the perch, pose, big feet, clean BG and composition. Nice image Chris.

christopher galeski
11-27-2013, 01:55 AM
Thanks for comments,yes Daniel,this sight was baited with peanuts and sunflower seeds.

christopher galeski
11-27-2013, 02:23 AM
this is a repost of the nuthatch I posted before.it seems to lose sharpness when I upload to this sight.For you Steve.

Steve Kaluski
11-27-2013, 02:54 AM
Chris, we will talk later today and hopefully address the issues you have. :wave: