PDA

View Full Version : Mt Hood winter night

dankearl
11-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Taken this evening up on Mt. Hood.
New night lens, 24-70 f2.8, I tried out some primes, but went for a useful all around lens.
First night shooting with it, I am kind of pleased at the results, not a true night sky, taken at 6:30 pm.

26mm, iso3200, 25 sec., f2.8, D800

DSC_0906bp2.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=135053&stc=1&d=1385358394)

David Stephens
11-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Looks like the perfect time to shoot, lighting the peak perfectly and still allowing you to bring the stars out. I like the pink on the foreground snow. There's a brighter streak of light in the mid foreground that bothers me because it stands out from the rest of the FG. I'd probably mute that down to the level of the rest of the FG.

dankearl
11-25-2013, 08:02 PM
The streak was stray light which I did tone down, but kept it just because I liked the random appearance in a night photo.
Sort of Alien like.......

David Stephens
11-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Looks like the perfect time to shoot, lighting the peak perfectly and still allowing you to bring the stars out. I like the pink on the foreground snow. There's a brighter streak of light in the mid foreground that bothers me because it stands out from the rest of the FG. I'd probably mute that down to the level of the rest of the FG.

Yes, clearly a valid choice. When you know that it was shot so near sundown, then it makes sense, along with the pink snow.

Diane Miller
11-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Looks very impressive from here! Any way to tone down the mountain just a little?

Looks like a couple of flying saucers just to its UL -- could those be Comet Ison and another one whose name I forget -- or are they that big?

Anette Mossbacher
11-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Hi Dan,

what an impression. Very nice done. Agree with Diane, just a tad toning down the mountain. The rest looks great for me.
nearly can see the Aliens :t3

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
11-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Hi Dan- nicely done with good suggestions especially about toning down the mountain. Congrats on the new lens too!

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
11-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Hi Dan, congrats on the new lens...lovely night scene and agree on toning down the snow covered mountain.

Don Nelson
11-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Diane
Ison is close to the sun right now.....near the solar disk....we can hope for better views as they move away.Don

Bill Jobes
12-06-2013, 06:43 PM
The time of day you selected to photograph adds a lot of interest via the reds in the image.

Taking note of the other observations on the brightness of the mountain, I think the photo may benefit if you selectively tempered only the brightest areas.

Congrats on the new lens !

Morkel Erasmus
12-12-2013, 04:19 AM
I like this Dan. Solid composition and good execution, for me your best night image yet.
Congrats on the 24-70, solid all-round landscape and portrait lens (I have one too). Can take filters too (77mm) which is great.
What are the sources of light lighting up the FG? I would have preferred even lighting there but understand it's probably uncontrollable light sources from behind you.
Is the mountain peak also lit up by something other than natural dusk glow?