PDA

View Full Version : Katherine Cove Sunset

Andrew McLachlan
11-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Approximately 40 minutes before photographing my previous post this is what the scene looked like at Katherine Cove in Ontario's Lake Superior Provincial Park. With no real interest in the sky I chose a low perspective and waited for the sun to reach the edge of the rock for the starburst effect.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm @ 32mm
ISO 100
f16 @ 1/13 sec
Bubble-level
Mirror-up
No filters

Look forward to comments

Rachel Hollander
11-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Hi Andrew - I like this a lot. The placement of the sun on the edge of the rocks is great. The rocks and puddles add an element of interest in the fg. Sharpness and detail work well.

TFS,
Rachel

David Stephens
11-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Too bad there were no clouds to reflect in the pools. I love the placement of the sun and its rays. Given the circumstances, I don't see a way to take this further.

Don Railton
11-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Hi Andrew

I too like this, and cannot see any way to improve it.. There is a slight halo on reflection in pool but its very minor nit picky stuff...

thanks for showing

DON

dankearl
11-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Stark and beautiful…...

Steve Kaluski
11-25-2013, 03:03 AM
Hi Andrew, nice one, love the sun setting with the rays cascading over the rocks, nice vision on this image. Is it a 'visual' thing, or does it need a very slight CCW rotation? Also in the FG rocks, have you applied 'Detail Extractor' as it looks quite crunchy? Would welcome you thoughts Andrew.

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
11-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi Andrew,

very nice scene with the sun and overall. When I saw it my first thought was, did Andrew lifted the shadows a tad to much. Than saw Steve's comment, or maybe Detail extractor. I have the same impression like Steve with the FG. Sky, clouds and sun looks great. Just the FG is a tad with something to much. No clue what it is, but you might know.
Anyway, I like the comp very much.
Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Andrew McLachlan
11-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Much thanks folks for the comments...and yes Detail Extractor applied again :S3: and sharpened lightly before posting. I am thinking that maybe a combination of the detail extractor and sharpening is giving the crunchy look. Will revisit and try a version without the detail extractor...thanks for suggestions.