PDA

View Full Version : Sparkles

Rachel Hollander
11-24-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm breaking up the string of b&w images but posting another experiment. Taken on the beach in Svalbard on our return visit to the walrus colony the following morning. We were shooting into the sun if we were shooting them in the water so were working on silhouettes. I know we normally try to avoid specular highlights but with this shot I was trying to incorporate them. I'm sure it won't be everyone's cup of tea but as always, I appreciate all feedback both positive and negative.

Canon 5D3
300 II plus 2x III
1/8000
f14
ISO 400
Tripod, ff, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, selective burning and dodging, sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
11-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Hi Rachel, I like it, love the sparkles on the water and the colour against the walrus. I might darken the walrus so it all the same tone, as don't think the added bit of light creeping in on the body helps, WDYT?

Nice thinking.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
11-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi Rachel,
i like this in general.The tones in the water , the reflections and the comp.The tusks are having the right amount of detail and tonality for this situation , like wise the rim light.
But i think in the body itself it is either too dark or not dark enough, just somewhere in between, just a matter of taste, in my eyes.

Those are my thoughts, lets see what others think.

TFS Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
11-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Hi Rachel,

I also do like the sparkles very much, Christmas at the front door…. :t3 Just kidding.
I agree with Steve with the walrus to turn more black. Very nice image.

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
11-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks Steve, Andreas and Anette. Given that the suggestions were unanimous, here's a rp with the body of the walrus darker.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
11-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Very nice, I am satisfied :bg3::t3

edwardselfe
11-25-2013, 08:04 AM
RP works for me. like this alternate take on the walrus.
Ed

Steve Kaluski
11-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Cool, the walrus has now captured the regal pose of the lion. :cheers:

Hilary Hann
11-26-2013, 04:53 AM
Nice variation on the sort of walrus images I've seen and good use of the water to provide real interest in the background.