PDA

View Full Version : Sun Agama

Gabriela Plesea
11-24-2013, 10:05 AM
:wave:Hello everyone,

Was looking through the latest Macro images and enjoyed what I saw, tremendously. Wanted to participate as well but I have not much to be proud of. Eventually found something quite fun and I liked the angle here, although I cannot imagine for the life of me why I did not increase the aperture for a better DOF…I guess I was playing around to see what effects I could achieve.

So here it is:

NIKON D3S
Nikon 105mm F2.8
ISO 400
F5.6 :2eyes2:
1/5000s

Shot without beanbag or tripod, sitting on the sand in midday Kalahari (scorching) heat and without wearing a hat (that would explain the wrong settings?!?)

Kind regards,

Carl Walker
11-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Love the look, like its wondering "what is this woman doing". The angle is great. As you said you could have traded some SS for more dof.

Steve Maxson
11-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Hi Gabriela. I really like the pose, comp, and low shooting angle. I am in agreement about the DOF - at f/11 or f/16 this would be a stunner! :S3:

Andrew McLachlan
11-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi Gabriela, I love photographing lizards, but we only have one species in Ontario. I do really like the pose and the way you composed it against the blue sky. Agree on the DOF...it would have been great to get the foreground leg in sharp focus.

Diane Miller
11-24-2013, 07:20 PM
It may not be a traditional nature shot but with the eye sharp and the rest OOF, and that LOOK, it's art! Very nice!!

Andreas Liedmann
11-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Hi Gabriela,
like this akward look of the agama with the tilted head.
DOF as mentioned not ideal,like wise for me the comp, too tight on bottom for my taste.The eye…….:w3 :Whoa!:.

Like the colors and the overall tonality, with great detail visible.

TFS Andreas

Mitch Haimov
11-25-2013, 09:49 PM
This is superb. Great subject and pose, and the comp works just fine for me as is. Pose and expression are perfect. That BG is very sweet. Sharpness and detail w/i your DOF superb, so much so that the shallow DOF doesn't bother me a bit. If I could change one thing about this image it would be to bounce some light into that eye.

How'd you get close enough to make this image with a 105 mm??? Maybe you weren't the only sun-addled one in the Kalahari that day? Speaking of the Kalahari, here's a cheap plug for a very interesting book: Cry of the Kalahari by Mark and Delia Owens http://www.amazon.com/Cry-Kalahari-Mark-James-Owens/dp/0395647800/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385433905&sr=1-1&keywords=cry+of+the+kalahari (used hardcover from only $0.01 plus shipping in U.S., your milage may vary in other countries. And no, I don't have any financial interest in this title).

Gabriela Plesea
11-26-2013, 03:44 PM
So sorry to come back so late, many thanks to you all for your kind comments on this image:5
Mitch, I did try get some detail in the eye but not enough:tinysmile_shy_t:. Regarding your question about proximity, this little guy was unconcerned with me, I guess I looked nothing like a predator to him (they get taken mostly by birds of prey). Sun Agamas just love to soak in the sun and spend hours during midday at the top of a bush in heat that exceeds 47'C. I crawled on the sand and got so close that I could touch him, all he did was to look down on me and check me out - he was as curious about me being there as I was about him. Image was taken at a desolate picnic spot in the Kalahari. I have better images of this chap but not with that lovely blue sky behind him, will see what else I can find worth processing...

Kind regards,

Gabriela Plesea
11-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Sorry Mitch, forgot to mention- we have the book, we have just about every book there is on the Kalahari:w3 Would love to write my own book about the place, I love it so much.

Sandy Witvoet
11-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Hi Gabriela.... I love this... Comp is great... DOF works for me.... by having "more", it may have actually detracted for the focal point on the eye. Killer pose!

Jonathan Ashton
12-01-2013, 09:30 AM
When I fist looked I thought you had deliberately gone for a shallow DOF, I quite like it actually but I think I would like to have seen his nostrils a little sharper. I think the composition and the rock and sky are super - well done.

Gabriela Plesea
12-02-2013, 05:10 AM
Thank you Jonathan, I took various images of this Agama at different Fstops, it just happens that he gave me this "attitude" at F5.6. I have posted another image in Wildlife the other day-same Agama, more DOF:w3, but I still like this one more...Hope to see an Agama again in February 2014, well one always sees them but they tend to get away fast, this was a friendly chap I shall never forget:bg3:

Thank you again for being so kind to comment, I love Macro, I just do not have enough images to post here, will do my best to participate more in the future...

Kind regards,