PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Sunrise

shane shacaluga
11-23-2013, 03:42 PM
This is my first post in this section as I dont have a clue really about landscape photography and the processing of these types of shots

Sunsets and Sunrise's in the straits of Gibraltar are usually quite spectacular. Here was a recent one whilst out walking the dogs.

Hope you can help with any way to improve this shot.

D800e
50mm f1.8 @ f7.1
1/500
ISO 125

Very basic processing , slight crop from the top and sharpened after resizing to 1200 pixels

All comments and critiques most welcome

David Stephens
11-23-2013, 07:29 PM
I like the use of a relatively wide-angle lens and emphasis on the dramatic sky. Colors and contrast are great to my eye. I have no real suggestions.

Rachel Hollander
11-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Hi Shane - A very nice first sunrise image. If it were mine I would try to bring out a little more detail in the clouds through LCE and luminosity masks. Another thing to try in the field is longer exposures to blur the water and capture the movement of the clouds. Use a tripod. There are all sorts of fun possibilities if you have regular access to nice sunrises and sunsets.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
11-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Hi Shane, you are off to a fine start with your landscapes. If you are not opposed to doing so I would be tempted to clone out the ships. And for me the dark sections of the clouds seem a little too blue...you could fix this by going to selective color and select blue and then reduce the black slider. Rachel offers a good suggestion for bringing out more detail in the clouds. What are the lines in the water in the lower right area of the comp?

shane shacaluga
11-25-2013, 04:02 AM
Thanks a lot for the comments, will try those adjustment suggestions on the file and see how it looks.

Rachel:I watch the sunrise from this area every morning so can practice a bit. How long an exposure are we talking about?

Andrew: Those lines are actually a mussel farm. each bouy has a long rope dangling down and the mussels grow on them and are harvested every season.