PDA

View Full Version : A Cold Tusker

Rachel Hollander
11-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Thought the title might get some people's attention. I also thought I would break up all the predator posts. Another walrus image taken from the beach in Svalbard, Norway. This one was taken between 9 and 10 p.m.

Canon 7D
300 II plus 2x III
1/250
f11
ISO 800
Tripod, ff, levels, curves, NR on bg, sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
11-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Hi Rachel,

love the look this massive animal gave you. Under the eye the silverish look, might be wet looks a tad to much sharpening to me, but it is late here, my eyes tired! I have figured while photographing them on the beach, that it was a bit tricky to get them in a good comp in the frame. The legs have been missing, lol just a massive big blob of a great animal. This one looks great with a very nice look to you :))
enjoy your weekend, I am sure you still giggle lololololol

ciao Anette

Carl Walker
11-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Love the look. Nice portrait Rachel.i can't see the over sharpening but then you know I battle with that at times.

Hilary Hann
11-23-2013, 03:30 AM
A nice traditional portrait of this animal showing good detail in the skin. I do like the tusks, nicely processed and I think the eye gives the animal extra character.

Rachel Hollander
11-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Thanks Anette, Carl and Hilary, much appreciated.

Andreas Liedmann
11-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Hi Rachel ,
like the cold tusker, with the curve down to LHS.
Great colors and detail,i would try to open up the eye a fraction and give the body a bit more 3D feeling, looks a bit flat in tonal variation in the darker MT.No big deal, but maybe brings a tad more life in the image.

TFS Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Sweet image Rachel, like the crop, the details very much and sharpening looks perfect. Very well done. Do you find that you need to sharpen differently when you use the 300+2X on the 7D compared too the 5DIII?
TFS.

Rachel Hollander
11-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks Andreas and Sanjeev for the suggestions and comments. Sanjeev - I'm not sure what you mean by sharpen differently. I use the same process for sharpening but the amount of selective sharpening varies based on the image not the camera.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks for clarifying Rachel, I some how felt that files out of 7D need a bit more amount of sharpening than 5D3.

Gabriela Plesea
11-24-2013, 02:03 AM
Hello Rachel,

Had a glimpse of your Tusker on the laptop yesterday but decided to wait until I could have a good look at him on the big screen-I am particularly taken with the whiskers and the battle scars. (Are these battle scars?) What an attitude these walruses have, what bulk, the size! Love the point of view, it emphasises all of the above beautifully, also the massive tusks. I like the crop and the way the subject's body fills the image, very pleasing. Looks perfectly sharp to me and the colours very natural, great capture and processing Rachel!

Warmest regards

Andre Pretorius
11-24-2013, 07:12 AM
Hi Rachel

Love the "warlord"- looks like he has had lots of opportunities to use those tusks!

Sharpening seems fine, comp really works for me.

I would suggest that you lighten only the eye and maybe another round of NR in BG.

Regards

Andre.

Rachel Hollander
11-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks Gabriela and Andre for the comments and suggestions. I think they are a combination of battle scars and scars from just having to crawl around and over everything. Interestingly his tusks were about half the size of the longest ones we saw.

Thanks again,
Rachel