PDA

View Full Version : Female Hooded Merganser and an Eerie Tale.

Daniel Cadieux
11-21-2013, 06:37 AM
It was rather dark and dreary during this weekend outing with the occasional rain shower. Lots of Hooded Mergansers, mostly males, but all hanging out in the middle of the pond...too far for good photography. One female came in close to shore and stayed a few minutes, providing some good opportunities.

Eerily some police cruisers showed up and cordoned off part of the parking lot for this park and started combing an area of the park about 100 feet from where I was. I was lying down taking these pictures...while the police were themselves taking pictures of the area for potential clues. A naked knifed-up body was found (alive, thank goodness) and subsequently 4 people have been charged with attempted murder. Had I parked in that section of the parking lot instead (as I sometimes do) I likely would have been the one to stumble unto that body as I am typically the first one there...

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/250s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, about 75% FF, neutralized a nasty blue cast via Colour Balance, toned down a couple of bright areas in the BG via burn tool, NR to BG and FG.

shane shacaluga
11-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Makes you wonder how simple meaningless decisions at the time, like where you park the car, can change your whole day/life.

Lovely setting for this bird, love how the water and the BG merge. Super funky head feathers and the droplets do add a lot

If it were mine i would try to lighten the face and eye a bit, but i don't know how these look in real life

TFS!

Iain Barker
11-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi Daniel,
Glad you decided to park where you did and it wasn't you that found them.

Love the low angle and the detail. The water on the duck really adds something extra to the image. The colours are also really nice.

Iain

Enrique Patino
11-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Nice colors, perspective and details. Well done!

Bill Dix
11-21-2013, 09:56 AM
The lovely foreground/background is what makes this one for me, plus one very wet Merg. I also wondered about lightening up the face a bit.

keith mitchell
11-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Daniel I would not change a thing IMHO it's got a real natural feel,FG and BG are superb as is the bird.

Keith.

Sandy Witvoet
11-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Image is absolutely perfect, and I'm "in awe". Been watching these girls here on the lake the last couple of weeks... alas no ops.
How totally SCARY to be laying close to a "CSI" ! Glad you were not in the middle of it.... would have totally freaked me out.
One of the all-time best mama Hoody images I've seen. Great work, Daniel.

Greg Oakley
11-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Beautiful shot Daniel - and great story!

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Very nice job. Love that clean and interesting bg. The light hitting the bird is also interesting.

Corey Hayes
11-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Nice shot Dan

Satish Ranadive
11-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Very very sweet image , Daniel Sir.

Regards,
Satish.

Karl Egressy
11-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Beautiful smooth for- and background nice pose and great IQ, Daniel.

mohammad reza shahab
11-25-2013, 02:35 PM
hi Daniel,
great IQ & pose.Love the low angle and the detail.