PDA

View Full Version : Winter White Wolf

D. Robert Franz
01-06-2008, 10:36 AM
This white wolf (one of only two in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem) 540F was seen quite often in the Hayden Valley of Yellowstone N.P. She was the alpha female of the Hayden Pack.. I captured this image on my winter tour last year. Unfortumately she was killed by a rival pack last fall I'll sure miss her..

Canon 1D2. EF600mmF4IS, Gitzo & Foba, ISO 400, 1/500 @ F8, +2/3 stop comp in evaluative

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2008, 11:10 AM
I like the "V" formed by the rise she is coming over and exposure on her is great though the snow seems a bit hot. I would want for her not to be in the center of the image and crop the top down a lot (to top of tall grasses to her left) and some off the left. Thanks for the story. It is nice to have background info like this and learn about YNP in the process.

D. Robert Franz
01-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Robert you were correct on the blown whites.. I had converterd this while still using my old monitor which was took dark. Didn't look closely before posting it. I also cropped a bit which I don't often do. Habit from all the years I shot chromes. Here is the repost...

DanWalters
01-06-2008, 12:42 PM
What a beautiful animal! Really like the repost, brings more attention to the wolf.
Would love to head up there one day.

Jasper Doest
01-07-2008, 04:52 AM
Must be a thrill to photograph wolves in the wild...and in such nice environment. Slightly too centered IMHO...

Del Cockroft
01-07-2008, 09:58 AM
What a magnificent animal. Thanks for posting.

Howard Burkert
01-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I love the alertness of the wolf and the eye contact.Great image.
Best,
Howard.

soleynicola
01-08-2008, 04:26 PM
what a beautiful looking animal, would love to wittness this in the wild.. and difficult shot to take with the blend and tones of white.. like the cropped version.. agree about the white but you know.. unique moment in nature.. specially in for someone in England where the wolf has been extinct for 500yrs...!!!

stunning beautiful animal.. !!

N X