PDA

View Full Version : Cackling Goose

Enrique Patino
11-20-2013, 09:08 AM
when I first saw this bird, I thought it was a Canada Goose, but I thought ..."it is way too small"... so I proceeded to photograph the group of of birds and this is one of my faves of that shoot. When I got home I learned about the diff and similarities between the two species.

7D, 500mm @ f/8, 1/200, ISO 400, manual, spot metering, HH, almost FF.

Comments welcome

Grace Scalzo
11-20-2013, 10:09 AM
So totally sweet. Techs are perfect and allow the viewer to sit back and enjoy this cute goose. A fine image, Enrique.

Stu Bowie
11-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Hi Enrigue, this fellow has given you a super pose, and overall well exposed. Having said, the detail stands out nicely, and the smooth BG helps.

keith mitchell
11-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Superb feather detail and beautifully exposed with an unblemished bg,super image.

vishaljadhav
11-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Lovely feather details, nice pose and a sweet BG to go with
very nicely executed

Jim Crosswell
11-20-2013, 05:38 PM
I like the sharpness, water drops, details and BG. Well done Enrique.

Enrique Patino
11-20-2013, 08:47 PM
thank you for your comments!

Daniel Cadieux
11-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Very cute individual! Many Cackling Geese go unnoticed because of the same plumage but yes, they are smaller and have a short stubby bill such as your bird here. Well exposed, very nice details, and I like the composition. Perhaps just a bit too red overall - try adding 10-12 points of cyan in PS Color Balance.

Enrique Patino
11-21-2013, 09:08 AM
good eye Daniel... thanks...

looks like I need to pay more attention to color balance. What is the best way to incorporate color balance into one's workflow? Do you normally check it using Color Balance and moving the sliders up and down? I asked because this image here in this re-post has the 10 points of cyan as you suggested. But I also tried adding 2-4 points magenta and 5-10 points yellow and it also looks good... is there now a slight cyan cast n the back feathers?

so how does one settle on the final adjustment?

thanks again

Satish Ranadive
11-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Excellent close-up with beautiful colors and pretty details.

Regards,
Satish.

Daniel Cadieux
11-24-2013, 09:37 AM
What is the best way to incorporate color balance into one's workflow? Do you normally check it using Color Balance and moving the sliders up and down? I asked because this image here in this re-post has the 10 points of cyan as you suggested. But I also tried adding 2-4 points magenta and 5-10 points yellow and it also looks good... is there now a slight cyan cast n the back feathers?

so how does one settle on the final adjustment?

thanks again

Hi Enrique, for me that is pretty much how I do it in PS. Not the most reliable method but I just eye-ball it in Color balance or Selective color. For bad casts I adjust the white balance in LR, again basically eye-balling it. It's very important to have a calibrated monitor as casts can easily be missed.

Enrique Patino
11-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks Daniel. That makes sense. I am beginning to take that approach, and will include an initial checking as well.