PDA

View Full Version : The "other" Grand Canyon

dankearl
11-20-2013, 02:42 AM
A postcard from Waimea Canyon in Kauai, Hawaii.

1/60 handheld, CP & grad filter, iso100, f11, 16-35 f4, D800
DSC_9707bpn.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=134921&stc=1&d=1384933287)

Morkel Erasmus
11-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Love the composition with repeating patterns here Dan. Great colours and dappled fall of light too.
I would look at the balance of FB/bottom brightness vs sky/upper brightness?
Overall detail and tonal depth rocks.

Andrew McLachlan
11-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Hi Dan, that is a killer canyon! Agree with Morkel on the tones of the foreground...and I think if it were mine I would crop about 2/3rds of the sky off. Nicely done!

Rachel Hollander
11-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi Dan - first thing that struck me was the dark tones of the fg and that it looks slightly misplaced. The area is certainly beautiful and good suggestions by Morkel and Andrew for bringing out that beauty a bit more.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
11-20-2013, 11:25 PM
very nice image Dan... Very sharp with beautiful complimentary colours. I see you used a grad filter, was it a soft or hard edged filter? I am guessing soft that has over lapped the distant skyline somewhat... I have often thought about buying some of these but can never settle on what to buy..

DON

dankearl
11-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Don, a soft grad filter, I just hold it by hand at times, but I do have a screw on holder.
You should definitely use them.
In this case I overdid it in PP, darkened the sky even more after.
The dark in front was heavy shade from passing clouds (they are constant in Kauai), I am standing about 10 miles from the
wettest place on earth, the volcano at the center of the island.
I liked the contrast personally, better for creating depth than complete sunshine.
You just stand and the clouds are constantly moving and changing across the canyon.

Don Nelson
11-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Nice image. I'd control the bright blues in the deep shadows, particularly the upper right area.
the darker foreground is a nice anchor for the brighter canyon - I like this one

Morkel Erasmus
11-21-2013, 01:32 AM
I don't mind the dark shadowed foreground. I mean the sky is too dark for the brighter parts of the FG. Lifting it slightly will make this pop.

David Stephens
11-21-2013, 01:38 PM
I love it and think that saturation in the FG greens reflects realistically the sun directly hitting those area. I also like the sky where you have it. I would love do see a little more detail in those really dark shadows, particularly the closest dark area toward the right.

Chris Ober
11-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Nothing to add that the others haven't already covered. Very nice over all and love the green contrast with the rocks.