PDA

View Full Version : Just playing around

Don Jacobs
11-19-2013, 08:35 PM
I saw these flowers and decided to play around with different DOF settings. I thought this was different. Shot using the 7D, 100mm, 1/15, ISO 200, f/8.0 used flash for fill. Camera was on a tripod. C&C greatly appreciated.

Mitch Haimov
11-19-2013, 09:47 PM
I like it, Don. Nice textures without appearing over sharpened. I wish the frame were wider so as to avoid clipping the tip of the petal, and possibly include more on the left as well.

Jonathan Ashton
11-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Good idea and worthwhile developing. When I look at the image I find myself what is the subject, I presume the anthers and stigma so I feel the composition is a little imbalanced and I wish the background petal had not been clipped. Maybe you needed to be higher or lower or possibly rotate the flower head a little bit. I like the colours and the processing and would suggest considering a variety of apertures, i.e. from wide open to f16 using the stigma as focus point.

Steve Maxson
11-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Hi Don. This is a lovely flower and a good subject for experimentation. The lighting and sharpness within your DOF are well handled. Mitch and Jon bring up some good points for you to consider. I think I would prefer more DOF such that at least one of the stamens was all in focus - but that is subjective and a matter of personal preference - and others will have the opposite view. :S3: