PDA

View Full Version : Water lily and reflection

Linda Dulak
11-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Late in September the waterlilies were still on display at Longwood Gardens. I found this one with a nice reflection in the blackened water.

D7000, 28-300 @ 145, ISO 800, 1/200 sec., f8, hand held. Post processing: straightened with slight crop, cloned out reflection in the water and specular highlights from other reflective surfaces, mid tone contrast increase (slight), sharpening.

Diane Miller
11-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Stunning! I love the sharpness and detail in the flower and reflection! Beautiful exposure!

Mitch Haimov
11-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Very nice, Linda. The vertical works well here, as do the textures and colors (which appear natural). I find myself wishing for a little more room at the top, both because it feels a little to tight to the flower and so as to avoid clipping the pad in UR.

Linda Dulak
11-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks, Diane.

Mitch, I appreciate that the flower is a bit tight in the frame. If I had more room, I would have provided it. As for the cut lily pad in the URC, I doubt that even if I had gotten the complete pad, there wouldn't have been another that was cut. As you can see, there were a lot of lily pads to this pond. I was just glad that I could get a flower and it's reflection without a pad in between.

Linda

Mitch Haimov
11-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Works quite well as presented, Linda. There's always a certain amount of an "in an ideal world" element to constructive comments, particularly when the pertain to something outside the frame. E.g., a comment like "if you had positioned the camera one step to the left…" assumes that it was possible to do so. Take comments (especially mine!) for what they're worth and follow the path that makes you happy.

stuart wanuck
11-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Very nice like it a lota lot

Carl Walker
11-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Lovely image..love the colors and reflection

Jonathan Ashton
11-24-2013, 07:06 AM
I like the crop but would add a little more canvas top and bottom using content aware. The colours look very eye catching but t me I feel there is a little too much contrast, also is it perhaps just a little cold? Just a personal view point - you may not agree.

Steve Maxson
11-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Hi Linda. Very eye-catching colors and good overall sharpness! As the flower is tilted to the right, I think the comp would be improved with a little more room on the right and a little less on the left. Nevertheless, this is a striking image as presented.

Andrew McLachlan
11-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi Linda, lovely water lily blossom and great detail. Good suggestions above and I favor a little more on the bottom and a little of the left so that the blossom is a little centered in the frame. Very nice!