PDA

View Full Version : Dunlin roosting

Jonathan Ashton
11-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Tripod, Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS & 1.4TC 1, AV mode,ISO 400 +0.3 1/500 sec f5.6
Image taken at high tide, all comments welcome.

Steve Kaluski
11-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi Jonathan, glad you kept the body clear of the rocks and I like the way the rear of the body almost echos the rock outline. Nice detail, but I would look to adjusting some Cyan and certainly Blue in the chest whites. Love the layering plumage and the one feather caught in the wind. Perhaps a little off the top wouldn't hurt I think, WDYT?

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
11-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Jonathan I really like the sleepy pose you have captured and some beautiful feather detail, maybe a tad off the top but that is a minor bit.

Keith.

Jonathan Ashton
11-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks Steve & Keith, yes I think a bit of the top is ok, the cyan never occurred to me but I have looked at the raw file again and adjusted using a colour balance layer and yes a little less cyan does look better - thanks!
I have another similar but different dunlin - I will check before I post.

Steve Kaluski
11-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Jon, I might go via the PS route, as you can make an adjustment layer (to remove the slight cast) & then mask rather than a 'Global' route as this will be overall. Just a thought.

Satish Ranadive
11-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Excellent image. Very nice pose. Love the lights and shadows in the frame.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
11-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Hi Jon, what I see right away viewing this image is the wonderful layers of feathers on the Dunlin, and of course the single ruffled feather adds interest. Im glad you got him against the water, and agree, taking off the top wont harm. :w3