PDA

View Full Version : Too close? Close Encounters of the Elk Kind

BobbyPerkins
11-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Was curious what you Nature Photographers think of this, and how you'd handle such a situation? I'm not quite sure what to think, and wonder how often this kind of predicament occurs at Natural Parks. I don't think I'd let the situation go as far as this guy did, but thank God he's safe. Unfortunatly the animal was put down after.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/18/21521252-a-problem-waiting-to-happen-headstrong-elk-euthanized-after-confrontation-video-goes-viral?lite

Doug West
11-19-2013, 01:07 AM
I think its a shame they killed this elk just because it was, well, being an elk and doing
what its instinct told it to do.

As far as the photographer, I'd probably do the same thing...just sit there and
not make any sudden movements. Then get up when it seemed safe doing so.

Doug

Diane Miller
11-19-2013, 11:36 AM
This kind of thing, of people interacting with potentially dangerous wild animals, happens all the time. I was recently judging end-of-year entries at a photo club and one entry was a print of a group of maybe 10 very amateur photographers, with a local “tour” leader in front, with their cameras aimed at a full-grown bull moose who was about 10-15 feet from the group, facing it. The monthly competition judge had apparently found it unique and interesting. I proceeded with a lecture about how stupid and dangerous it is to approach a moose, or let one approach you. And in this case, I would bet it was the former, as several years prior I had seen this same person head off through the underbrush to get closer to a moose. A ranger saw him too, and went in pursuit. Apparently the lecture wasn’t stern enough.

David Smith
11-19-2013, 04:04 PM
I watched the video several times and it appears to me that the photographer was already sitting on the side of the road taking pictures, when the young Elk walked up to him and started the head rubbing. I believe that neither the Elk nor the photographer done anything that was out of line for either one. The photographer did not stalk the Elk and get close to him on purpose, and the Elk was just doing what young, curious Elk do. The photographer done what he should have, by remaining calm and not making any sudden movments and tried to protect himself by not making eye contact with the Elk. The Elk, on the other hand, appeared to be playful and curious about the "object" on the side of the road. I am very sorry that Park Officials put the Elk down, but it is my understanding that this Elk had several complaints against it, for getting to close to humans. Park Officials had apparently tranquilized him a couple of times and transported him back into the park, but the young Elk kept coming back to the road. Park officials felt that this made him a liability in case young children were around and may get gored by the young Elk's spike horns. I think the biggest culprit here, are the people who fed the young Elk and made him lose his fear of humans. These are the people who directly contributed to the death of this young Elk. I would really like to see the Park Service, in all the parks, crack down and write some citations for feeding the wildlife. Maybe this would get peoples attention and cut down on future destroying of animals..

Just my humble opinion...

Dave

Sandy Witvoet
11-19-2013, 05:06 PM
It's the people that cause these issues... not the wildlife. In my opinion, it's "interfering with wildlife". In Michigan, that is defined as poaching....although not enforced.
One reason (among others) why I do not participate in mass viewings nor mass photography gatherings.

BobbyPerkins
11-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Very interesting pov's and I thank you for the discussion. As Sandy mentioned, I'm not one who enjoys mass viewings or mass photography gatherings. I think alot of the "Big Parks" would be more of a headache for me, in the case of the video literally a headache, Ha. I like the solitude of being behind the lens alone and obviously the people have alot to do with it, as this sort of encounter seldom happens (if ever) in more secluded places with out all the people. I suppose it's a geographical thing too. As for me I may have encounters with a curious skunk!, a coon, mink or a rodent or snake crawling out from under me as I lay in the muck. Animals like big game are difficullt to approach, unless people are feeding. Like those ducks in the parks.
Just curious on a trip or something in an event like that how you'd handle such a predicament.

David Stephens
11-20-2013, 11:11 AM
It really saddens me to see naturally well fed elk and deer fed by people. Can't those people see that the animals are well muscled and constantly grazing? Still, some feel compelled to feed wild animals and unintentionally put them in harms way. While out trying to shoot bucks in rut last night, I had a doe and her yearling approach me within 20-ft., doing exactly the opposite of what they should. They're protected in the state park where they live, but the unnatural behavior is sad to see.

Daniel Cadieux
11-21-2013, 06:25 AM
From what I've read the elk approached the photographer from behind, but yeah, it's unfortunate these things happen when large animals get habituated to people. I know the parks likely have an "obligation" to put down these animals when stuff like this happens but I still find it overzealous and knee-jerk (and predictable). Funny thing is that a "tame" animal is put down for being too dangerous, but a "wild" one will also be put down for the same reasons if one is found to be aggressive. Elk are not normally seen up here in Ottawa but this summer one was found right in the city...when this made the news all that some of us could think of was that the authorities would shoot it dead. They did. A no win situation for wildlife when it comes to dealing with it when around people. In this video the elk seemed more curious than wanting to pick a fight, but I still would have been scared as heck and not sure I would have been able to take some photos while this was going on like this photographer did!

Doug Herr
12-04-2013, 09:57 AM
I have to wonder why it took so long for the people in the cars to intervene.

Marina Scarr
12-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Apparently, there were other incidents involving this particular elk. The elk had some "issues" and was finally euthanized.