PDA

View Full Version : Spadger No 2

John Robinson
11-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Another humble pool House Sparrow.
There is just one small time in the afternoon when the light comes through the tree canopy gaps and you get a reflection. It only lasts 10 minutes or so.
Nikon D7000
Nikor 70-300mm
800 ISO
120th @f8
70% of frame.
Usual PP in paint Shop Pro 7
Thanks for comments on last post.
Cheers
JR

Arthur Morris
11-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Very sweet. I love the no leaves above the water BKGR. I like the look of the sunken leaves. I would do a bit more cleanup in advance with the leaves in the foreground lower left... Love the look of the water behind the bird. Sharp with a perfect EXP and a good head angle.

Randy Stout
11-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Johnny:

Artie hit all the key points. The silky water with sunken leaves makes it special for me.

Very nice color palette.

Cheers

Randy

John Robinson
11-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks both.
I think some don't realise the number of throw outs in relation to a posted picture there are with close range pool photography like this. Thats why the appreciative comments are so encouraging.

arash_hazeghi
11-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Johnny, any type of quality bird photography is quite challenging, sometimes you spend one day for a single frame, and that is shooting in locations like Alaska where it's very cold or Florida where it's hot and humid. so you're not alone and at least you're at the comfort of your backyard;)

this one is great, I like it much better than the other ones because the blur in the water is not only creative but also smoothens out the OOF leaves focusing our attention on the bird. As Artie mentioned, removing the FG leaves will improve it further

Also remember to include any flash settings you used.

John Robinson
11-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks Arash
No flash used.
I used to use three in the old days on film and early digital but they never looked right. I had two Mecablitz 402 heads left and right and a slave above.
With faster ISO,s available I can just about get away with it these days. Because of the tree shade above its usually around 80th @f8 on800 ISO In the Winter when the leaves are off I can get a bit more.
Cheers
JR
Heres a repost

Stu Bowie
11-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Hi Johnny, good detail on the sparrow, and the colours look good. I do like the pose and HA, together with the texture of the water.

arash_hazeghi
11-18-2013, 10:42 AM
repost is great