PDA

View Full Version : Canon 1dmkiv and AF using extender?

Corey Hayes
11-16-2013, 08:07 PM
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
Hey guys

So I got a 1d mkiv a few months back and since day one I have been disappointed with the AF when I use the 1.4 extender on my 500mm f4, with the bare the lens AF is fantastic but as soon as I add the extender most of my pics become out of focus. I use the extender with the 7D with no issues so I just would just like to know if this is normal or is there something messed up with my camera? I know with out the extender the center is a cross type AF sensor and at f5.6 its not is that the reason?

thanks

</tbody>

Gary Kinard
11-16-2013, 08:29 PM
One of the best flickr sites on the web for sure. Great all around photography.
That is strange, about the IV. I have noticed the exact opposite.

www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos)
www.birdsthatfart.com (http://www.birdsthatfart.com)

Steve Kaluski
11-17-2013, 04:02 AM
Corey, as the extender only magnifies I would take the body, lens & extender either up to Canon at Elstree if you are North based, or say Fixation if you are South based of London as it may be some thing simple like calibration or cleaning of the points say, if not, at least they can resolve your issue quickly.

Also having the kit calibrated with and without the ext, if your images are still poor then you may need to review your shooting style.

If you need the address of either drop me a PM.

Steve

Carl Walker
11-17-2013, 04:44 AM
Good advice from Steve above Corey.
With both my 7D and MK IV I had to calibrate or micro adjust all the different combinations of extenders - lens- body for each application. Once you have done that the camera will file that away in its memory for future changes. I did it myself but it took a while to get it right. On the other hand my brother in law never had any issues.

Ed Cordes
11-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Corey, see my thread RE service of my MK4. I have had no issues, but did have to use the micro adjust function to get it right up until now after the body was serviced. So, you could bring it in for diagnosis or try to micro adjust. FWIW, I use my 500 and 1.4 TC a lot.