PDA

View Full Version : Another aerial landscape

Diane Miller
11-16-2013, 01:22 PM
This is the south end of the San Joaquin Valley, looking west in the late afternoon. (Not normally what one would seek for a photogenic location.) We're heading for Tehachapi Pass and Gorman Pass is just off to the left in the mid-distance. The atmospherics always look like this. And I always shoot it. The high key somewhat mysterious look appeals to me.

Canon 5D3, 70-200 f/2.8 IS at 70mm, ISO 400, f/8, 1/3000 sec. Could (should) have gone to ISO 200 or even 100 and a wider aperture, but I get so many where there is camera shake from the slightest turbulence that I need to stay in the fast SS range -- 1/3000 can be tempting fate.

Basic LR tonal adjustments and into PS CS6 for some NR and a touch of Detail Extractor. Not much more to extract without a lot of noise due to the very low contrast subject. Cropped top and bottom so about 50% of the full frame.

C&C always appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Don Nelson
11-17-2013, 01:23 AM
Diane
Are you in a light plane? I don't recall seeing this view on 58 between Bakersfield and Keene.
The south end of the San Joaquin so often fills up with smog, but you've made an interesting composition
I like the way you've handle the image as fairly high key, keeping the sky and the tops of the mountains fairly light as well

Diane Miller
11-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks, Don. Yes, I'm shooting out the right seat window of a Beechcraft Bonanza, heading over Tehachapi into Mojave. With the light scattering from particles in the air, high key was the only choice. Extremely milky light, low contrast situation. But it's one of my favorite kinds of light for aerial landscapes.

dankearl
11-17-2013, 11:53 PM
I like this a lot, Diane.
If you have more below, a bit would look good.
About perfect definition in the peaks for this look.

Diane Miller
11-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks, Dan -- there is more below but it shows the busy-looking imprint of civilization. I'll have another look and see if it can be cleaned up enough, but when I cropped as I did it was because I felt that attempting a cleanup wouldn't give a good result.

David Stephens
11-18-2013, 02:57 PM
This is great composition with nice layers of clouds and light. The long crop is effective at pulling the horizon out.

Anette Mossbacher
11-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi Diane, I only can agree with all above. Very nice image :bg3:

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Andrew McLachlan
11-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Nice work here Diane...I like the comp and the layered mountains...sometimes smog can be our friend.