PDA

View Full Version : Suckling Thornicroft's Giraffe

edwardselfe
11-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Nice morning light the other day when I was out - it's been overcast a lot recently so it was nice to have the golden light back - and we found giraffes all over the place just inside the park. I missed this female greeting her youngster (I was still getting my camera off my lap after parking in the right place!) but was chuffed when she started to suckle the calf. I'd parked at a good distance for my guests with 300mm lenses, but was struggling with my 500mm until she reached round to check on the youngster. No more space around the edge, but was just happy to fit the image in!

Any comments welcome.

Thanks,

Ed

1D4, 500mm f4 @ f4, ISO 800, 1/4000sec

Steve Kaluski
11-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Hi Ed, lovely image, great light, love the catchlight in the calf's eye.

Shame about the space either side, is this therefore FF?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
11-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi Ed - beautiful moment in great light. Agree with Steve, catchlight is nice. Tightness doesn't bother me much here because of intimateness of moment. I would love to have this image in my files. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

edwardselfe
11-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Very nearly full-frame. I think I cut a bit off the bottom because I thought there was a little too much foreground....only a centimetre or so.
Ed

edwardselfe
11-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Very nearly full-frame. I think I cut a bit off the bottom because I thought there was a little too much foreground....only a centimetre or so though.
Ed

Marc Mol
11-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Ah yes the joys of a 500 prime lens :w3....................we all have our crosses to bear.:bg3: Know the feeling on this one Ed.
Love the lighting and the curling neck of an intimite mother, nice catchlight on the youngster.
TFS

Anette Mossbacher
11-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Hi Edward,

agree with Rachel, would love to have that on my hard drive as well :bg3:
Beautiful light and all around.
Guess there comes the Fiat 500 ( 200-400 & 1.4 ) very handy :tinysmile_shy_t:

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Carl Walker
11-17-2013, 04:57 AM
Great shot Ed with lovely light

Gabriela Plesea
11-17-2013, 05:00 AM
This is such a beautiful, tender moment, Edward! I love the golden light and there's lots of detail on the youngster, the little oxpeckers a bonus! I do not mind the tightness here one bit, nothing to distract the eye from this lovely intimate scene.

Kind regards,

Hilary Hann
11-17-2013, 05:01 AM
What a gorgeous image, love the calf with the oxpeckers and the light in the eye. Even the shadow on the adult adds a natural vignette to the calf drinking. Beautiful work.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-17-2013, 07:38 AM
You did very well to both of them in and still framed it nicely. The light is great, the colours pleasing, nice BG and the catch light is nice TFS.

Andreas Liedmann
11-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi Edward,
it is all coming together, the light , the intimate moment, beautiful colors, PP work.

Like this a lot ,:cheers:.

A bit more space all around would be a tad better for me.

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
11-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Great image quality, dappled light and moment here Ed! Given the limited space on the sides I would crop tighter from the top?
:5

edwardselfe
11-18-2013, 04:01 AM
Hi all,

Many thanks for great ideas and kind comments. I'm really happy that you all like this one too. (Sometimes I really like an image and then it doesn't work for other people - it's good to get that feedback but it shows how subjective it all is!). I will try a crop from the top as that could work really well, and I'm sad that I don't have a little more space all around, but just glad to have got anything good in the situation.

Thanks everyone.

Ed

Steve Kaluski
11-18-2013, 04:07 AM
Ed - There is always next time, you have a great back yard to work in!

Rudi van den Heever
11-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi Edward! The "tightness" does not bother me at all! Great detail, clarity and colors!:S3: