PDA

View Full Version : The Dream Preen

Marina Scarr
11-15-2013, 09:41 PM
I just love the way this Swallow-tailed Kite appears totally satisfied and relaxed as it's preening. This bird had 2 fledglings in a nearby nest at the time and was taking a much deserved break from rearing its young. One of the things that made me crazy about photographing this pair was that none of us could ever figure out which was the male and which was the female, except of course during mating.

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500 & 2.0 @ 1000mm
F10, 1/640sec, ISO 800, manual exposure
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

Grace Scalzo
11-15-2013, 09:53 PM
This is indeed sweet, Marina. Wonderful mood conveyed and perfect timing on the preening pose.

Bob Serling
11-16-2013, 12:20 AM
Very nice behavior shot, indeed. There's so much character in this shot. I'd like to see it cropped with about 25% less of the sky at the top though.

Stu Bowie
11-16-2013, 04:36 AM
Hi Marina, the closed eye says it all. I like the pose with the 'folded in' wings, and how the tail follows the line of the perch. Exposure spot on.

Randy Stout
11-16-2013, 05:32 AM
Marina:

'Ah, such bliss to be free for a moment'

Very neat pose, love the lines of the feathers, perch, as Stuart pointed out.

I agree with Bob and would consider a version with a bit off the top.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
11-16-2013, 07:02 AM
Sweet. Love the feathers in the bill look. Please post the full frame original capture. Good move using the 2X and decreasing the angle of inclination....

keith mitchell
11-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Hi Marina this is a smashing shot just as it is, but I wonder if it would be possible to get a little more detail in the blacks on the tail and wings just a thought and it could be down to my eyes/monitor. Preening and the closed eye really makes it for me.
Keith.:S3:

Robert Kimbrell
11-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Marina, You always seem to be able to capture amazing behavior. That feather looks so much like it has the mobility of a human hand to scratch it's face. Great timing.

Marina Scarr
11-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Sweet. Love the feathers in the bill look. Please post the full frame original capture. Good move using the 2X and decreasing the angle of inclination....

Here is the original frame, Artie. This perch was quite far and high and necessitated a 2x TC at all times.

Grace Scalzo
11-16-2013, 10:30 AM
You retained excellent IQ, despite the large crop. Seeing the original, I would make a nice landscape oriented image of this frame , as well as the vertical. (Not "Instead of", but in addition to.)

gail bisson
11-16-2013, 05:06 PM
I love the pose.
I, too, would like this in a landscape orientation.
IQ is terrific despite the large crop.
Gail
PS Just read the previous critiques and I have almost repeated word for word what Grace said. I can honestly say that I had not read her critique before posting mine and will only say "great minds think alike!"
Gail

Marina Scarr
11-16-2013, 05:40 PM
By popular demand, I have cropped the image to horizontal. What say you?

Bob Serling
11-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Bring back the vert! The bird itself is still splendid.

Doug Brown
11-16-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm more a fan of the vertical crop, but I like the idea of cropping off the top of the frame. Even bird parents need a little time for themselves!