PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Over Gitzo Purchase

Julian Mole
11-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a used Gitzo 3530 lsv tripod, over here in the UK, and having received it today I'm concerned over some of the damage it has on the carbon fibre legs (a number of scrapes and some gouges).

Particularly can anyone tell me whether the damage in the photo below is the start of a split or nothing to worry about? I ask as I have no prior knowledge of these tripods other than what I have researched on the internet and in Artie's books.

The tripod was described as in "good condition" and had the box and accessories included, so I thought it would probably have been looked after, however as well as the damage to the tubing, I found the leg locks didn't screw smoothly, the plastic bushings are going powdery and the lower leg sections don't extend smoothly either.

I would be very grateful of some advice as I didn't pick it up cheaply either - used Gitzos of this model are few and far between over here! :-(

Regards,

Julian.

Julian Mole
11-15-2013, 06:53 PM
A second image of the same damage but differently lit.

Grace Scalzo
11-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Julian, The scrapes don't bother me that much, but from your picture, what appears to be a split does. The bushings do wear out over time and can be replaced. The fact that the legs do not extend smoothly, combined with what appears to be a split would indeed cause me to not accept this tripod in this condition.

Julian Mole
11-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi Grace,

Thank you. I think you are right - I examined it again today in daylight and this bit of damage looks quite different to all the other marks. I will contact the seller.

All the best,

Julian.

Mike Davies
11-17-2013, 11:35 AM
I caught the lower and thinnest section of my Gitzo monopod between two rocks and split it quite a bit more than this a couple of years ago. I use it regularly with my 500mm and submerge it in water, mud etc. and the split has not increased and everything works fine.

Julian Mole
11-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your input, I am sure the tripod would have coped OK despite the split, however as I had paid around 80-85% of the original retail price I chose not to risk it.

Thankfully the seller was very reasonable and gave me a refund, all in all it was an educational experience which has fully opened my eyes concerning buying used Gitzo CF tripods!

Regards,

Julian.