PDA

View Full Version : Pied KF

Carl Walker
11-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Captured this image in the KNP this past yearHHCanon 1D MK IV - 300mm f2.8 plus 2 X extender MK IIILR basics PSE 9 - LM, adj levels, sat ect - added canvas on bottom

Martin Dunn
11-15-2013, 09:33 AM
I assume you meant to write Pied KF Carl

Carl Walker
11-15-2013, 09:37 AM
:t3Yes I did thanks Martin. Been working on one so I guess that was the mental focus. Thanks. Hopefully the moderators will change for me thanks to whomever does.

Lyle Gruby
11-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Great wing position, IQ is very nice, the bird is nicely lit, nice BG. There is a little noise in the BG I'd get rid of. I'd kill to get a belted KF flying like this. (Don't forget to add your techs)

Carl Walker
11-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks Lyle. I did but am having problems with wifi. I guess thats why everything is jammed up
ISO 500 - 1/2000 sec - f5.6

Marc Mol
11-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Like the in flight pose and BG here Carl, always difficult to bring out details in the eye with their black banding here.
TFS

Steve Kaluski
11-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Carl, have just request the change of title. :w3

David Levinson
11-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Fantastic, sharp, great lighting. Great photo!

Arthur Morris
11-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Like the in flight pose and BG here Carl, always difficult to bring out details in the eye with their black banding here. TFS

Excellent critique! I tried to address the face and eyeissues with some Eye Doctor and NIK work for the repost.....

Marc Mol
11-16-2013, 02:39 AM
Excellent critique! I tried to address the face and eyeissues with some Eye Doctor and NIK work for the repost.....

Looking good now Artie. :w3

BTW, what is Eye Doctor ??

...........and don't say an Ophthalmologist :t3

Carl Walker
11-16-2013, 04:02 AM
Thanks everyone and Steve for doing that. Appreciate the effort here Artie - thanks it looks much better.

Stu Bowie
11-16-2013, 05:04 AM
Hi Karl, I have plenty KF hovering shots against a sky BG, but when you get them against a foliage BG, as you have managed here, it does take the image up a few notches. Well exposed, and I like the swept back wings.

Artie's work on the eye looks good on this female. :w3

Arthur Morris
11-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Marc, Carl--YAW, and Stuart. Thanks.

Digital Eye Doctor refers to a series of techniques that I came up with years ago to improve the look of a bird's eye. It involves using small Quick Masks of the pupil and the iris and (usually) darkening the pupil and lightening the iris (while being careful not to over-do either) with a Curves on a Layer (control M) adjustment.... Then usually a contrast mask on the face. In addition and slightly off of the Eye Doctor topic I applied (using a HIde-All Layer Mask) NIK Detail Extractor on the black eye-line to open it up. And probably a few more things that i forgot :S3:.

Here's the good news: All Digital Eye Doctor techniques and everything else that I mentioned above are detailed in our Digital Basics File. Digital Basics (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252) is an instructional PDF f-Guide that is sent via e-mail. It includes my complete digital workflow, dozens of great Photoshop tips, several different ways to expand canvas, all of my time-saving Keyboard Shortcuts, Quick Masking, Layer Masking, and NIK Color Efex Pro basics, and tons more.

vishaljadhav
11-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Wonderful flight pose, the bird looks focused that makes the viewer look at the image more intensely
the exposure is good
i like the eye work put in by Arthur bhai , does enhance the look of image.
Good choice extending the canvas , rendered a lot of balance to the image, very nicely done

Andre Pretorius
11-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Love the image!

Agree the eye looks better now! Hope he see his fish better!

Do a NR on BG.

Cheers!