PDA

View Full Version : Itchy Kingfisher

gail bisson
11-15-2013, 05:09 AM
Whenever I see a bird scratching I take lots of shots but invariably delete them because the action is never as cute "on paper" as it is in real life.
This one is the exception ( for me) because the nictitating membrane looks like an actual eyelid as opposed to an opaque film.
Canon 1Dx
F 600mm and 1.4x
F 7.1 @ 1600
ISO 800
PP: A 30% crop (70% FF), pretty much straight out of the box. Levels, detail extractor, NR to BG. I still struggle in PP with posterization of dark green backgrounds but have stopped worrying about it because it doesn't affect a print.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Randy Stout
11-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Gail:

Kingfishers always strike me as slightly cartoonish, with their big heads and bills, and oversize personalities, and this shot fits right in. It is an unusual eyelid capture, as you pointed out. Nice colors, exp. too.

Yes, I have deleted a lot of scratching shots as well!

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
11-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Yes, it does have a cartoonish look to it. I like the open bill (saying aaah?), and the motion blur on the little foot works for the subject.

Lyle Gruby
11-15-2013, 09:46 AM
I love this. What a sweet moment for such a ferocious (in their minds) bird. The tiny feet are my favorite part of the the kingfisher, what a cool way to show it off. That eyelid and open beak just put it over the top for me.

Marc Mol
11-15-2013, 10:19 AM
A sweet moment nicely captured Gail, only thing I'd try if mine would be to add some more light on that deep green BG.
TFS

dankearl
11-15-2013, 04:32 PM
A neat pose and I really like the dark BG. They really are goofing looking birds when perched..

David Salem
11-16-2013, 01:31 AM
I too take lots of shots of scratching, preening and bathing and as you said, I delete most of them because they arent as cool as I had hoped. This one is pretty nice and I do like the fact that the membrane looks like the eye lid.
Sharp, well exposed and a nice dark BG to show her off. I like it. Well done Gail.

Stu Bowie
11-16-2013, 04:22 AM
Hi Gail, very well exposed, and the orange foot pops nicely from the grey plumage. I like the placement and how the perch extends into the frame. Great BG too.

Kingfishers rock. :w3