PDA

View Full Version : Weekly theme: Eyes of a predator

Nancy Bell
11-14-2013, 07:29 PM
From my collection of jaguar images I took in the Pantanal last month. I like how this jaguar is peering through the vegetation. After the usual PS stuff, I applied a layer of Topaz Simplify 4, buz sim & did some adjustments. I erased the effects from the eyes. I really like how this filter takes away the sharp edges, allowing the viewer to also see the "feeling" of the image.

Dennis Bishop
11-14-2013, 08:26 PM
I mostly avoid unfocused elements in front of the subject, but this is an image that, I think, very much benefits from the unfocused vegetation in the foreground. It helps to focus attention on the subject. Perhaps it complements the Topaz Simplify effect. There are some purple elements in the image that work nicely with the green.

What do you think about flipping the image horizontally?

Hazel Grant
11-14-2013, 08:37 PM
I agree re the blurred images in front of the animal. Turns the eye to him so well. Are those white lines under the eyes a real part of the animal? Seem a bit pasted on. You caught the gaze of the jaguar so sell. Hope you weren't too close....he looks like "stay away or else"
Well done

Diane Miller
11-14-2013, 11:41 PM
What a cool cat! Love the sleepy but wary don't mess with me look. Like, I don't even need to wake up to put you in the hospital.

Judy Howle
11-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Very well framed by the OOF leaves. I think your Simplify filter work is just the right amount for the jaguar, not overdone. Lucky you to have the opportunity to photograph such a beautiful cat!

Carl Walker
11-16-2013, 05:09 AM
Hi hazel , I agree with above that the vegetation framing the head draws you in nicely. I love the effect. Working the eyes also makes it the focal point for me. TFS
Dianne:bg3:

Hazel wrote - Are those white lines under the eyes a real part of the animal?"
Yes they are Hazel - In fact there is a strong belief that this white patch assists the eyes in the reflection of light that is absorbed by any available light at night which is the period that these predators normally hunt.

Mitch Carucci
11-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Really nice image (I am sure the original was also), but the soft blur of the greens in the foreground really sets of the main subject.

Nancy Bell
11-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Thank you all! Here is the horizontally flipped image. As already mentioned, those white lines below the eyes are natural. I appreciate the above explanation as I did not know why. As for getting close, all jaguar viewing is done from a boat and the boat drivers keep us far enough away. I used a 400 mm lens for this image. In 5 days, I saw jaguars every single day. It was an amazing experience! Check out Denise Ippolito's mini-mag issue for Dec. I wrote an article on viewing jaguars, etc. in the Pantanal of Brazil.

Christopher Miller
11-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Lucky you, Nancy, getting to photograph jaguars in the wild! I love the feel of peeking through the vegetation and the painterly feel.

Anita Bower
11-17-2013, 07:30 AM
Very nice! All has been said above. What a treat to be able to see and photograph Jaguars where they live. I, too, like the editing you did. The Jaguar stands out from the surrounding foliage, which frames the animal. I prefer the orientation of the OP. The only thing I would change is to clone out the diagonal white line in the upper left corner of the OP. It distracts me from the Jaguar.

Jackie Schuknecht
11-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Amazing what a small tweak can do. I find the flipped picture more engaging. Probably because we read left to right (NOT SURE), but it sounds logical:bg3:.

Nancy Bell
11-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks, Christopher. Anita, I never noticed that line. Thanks for pointing it out. Jackie, I know people can react strongly to orientations.