PDA

View Full Version : Local Hangout

Michael Wayne
11-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Hello,
I have been gone for a while, glad to be back. :)

I had to take a few months and learn how to do a DIY computer so I could do my PP...I had decided a long time ago not to buy another one, I wanted to build at least one in my lifetime...and I am happy to report it is working..great! I can PP my photos in half the time it took before and no PS or LR issues...like before! I used an Intel 3960X CPU, 32GB RAM and 8GB of space...so should be set for awhile. ;)

I get a lot of Black-Capped Chickadees and Woodpeckers...mostly Downys, but do get...Hairy's...occasionally.

Here is one I call the ....Local Hangout...

Canon 5D Mark III
Canon ef 70-200mm F2.8L IS VII @ 150mm
F/7.1
ISO 1600

Arthur Morris
11-14-2013, 07:48 PM
What is a DIY computer?

Glad that you are back.

The image overall is cute, almost cartoonish. In part because of the two birds facing each other and in part because the colors are way over-saturated. You need to work on your image optimization skills as you have totally greyed out the whites.... Love the BKGR but getting back to your set-up you need to spend some time looking for perches with character; the one in the image is somewhat a mess....

Recommended: Digital Basics (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252) and The Songbird Set-Up e-Guide (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=275).

Arthur Morris
11-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Yikes. I forgot my repost. De-saturated it 10 points and removed lots of BLACK from the WHITEs only (and added YELLOW to take out the BLUE).

Michael Wayne
11-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Hey Art...DIY = Do It Yourself...in other words...I built it. ;)

In your repost the whites look way to hot on my monitor...and washed out...it may be my monitor...I did not get or build a new one of those. LOL

I appreciate your C+C...but I like the perch...I purposely placed this one up. ;)

We all have different views and outlooks on how we wish to present our images and this is/was mine.

Michael Wayne
11-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Hey Art I just looked at the site you suggested and it will not work for me...it is a CD and I am hearing impaired...Thanks anyway. ;)

John Robinson
11-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Hi
I agree abouit some of the points raised but to be honest - I think the perch is great,Sorry
Cheers
JR

Martin Dunn
11-15-2013, 03:59 AM
Michael, I have to agree with most of what Arthur wrote.
Colours were way off and the perch is just too distracting, particularly when it is placed centre frame and is much bigger than the subjects.
To my eye the birds lack some sharpness and I think that even after Arthur's re-post the background is too colourful and distracting.

Michael Wayne
11-15-2013, 07:11 AM
I forgot what site I was at...I thought this site was also known as..."Birds as Art" but I guess it is only for the title or for the regulars to "try" and do something different!

I have seen some images on here that I thought were bad... but as long as they were one of the "regulars"...their image was accepted and got good feedback!

I will not take up anymore of your space with my awful images...I looked but I cant find out how...so to a MOD...please delete my account!

Thank you!

Randy Stout
11-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Michael:

It is natural for folks who are regulars both in posting images, and commenting on other folks images to get more comments on their images. Just human nature. But, that shouldn't discourage you from posting and commenting on other folks images. We all started in the same place, and gradually build our skills and connections.

There is a general 'style' of images posted on BPN, but many successfull exceptions to the norm, and in fact, those are often the most thought provoking images, something different. Even those images are held to high standards, but I personally am always looking for something new/different, if well done.
'
So, please continue to post and comment. BPN is clearly the best place on the web to learn and grow as a nature photographer. It however isn't a backslapping,' great shot' type of site, so there will be critiques and people aren't afraid to comment on what they think could be improved.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
11-15-2013, 07:38 PM
I forgot what site I was at...I thought this site was also known as..."Birds as Art" but I guess it is only for the title or for the regulars to "try" and do something different!

I have seen some images on here that I thought were bad... but as long as they were one of the "regulars"...their image was accepted and got good feedback!

I will not take up anymore of your space with my awful images...I looked but I cant find out how...so to a MOD...please delete my account!

Thank you!

Michael, I do my very best to critique each image honestly.... You might consider not taking things so personally. And BTW, the CDs that I mentioned are e-Guides that are meant to be read not listened to.

Sandy Witvoet
11-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Don't lose the faith, here Michael.... All C/C on BPN is honest and helpful. That is why we are here.
I love the title, concept and presentation of your image. These birds seldom perch on something "clean" ... and neither are they "clean" after going in and out of tree holes! The perch is way cool... although I feel that the greens here are a bit bright. Your whites (just on parts of the breasts) are just the tiniest bit gray.... details on the lower part of the perch may be a bit overwhelming. Overall... I really like this and feel that it gives the viewer an interesting image to study.