PDA

View Full Version : red & yellow

Hillebrand Breuker
05-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Last week i was photographig tulips when all of a sudden a yellow wagtail landed on a field of red tulips. That was a great oppertunity, but not an easy task when you are foccused on landscapes with a 5D and 24-105 lens. I tried to change to a 300/2.8 with 1.4 tc as fast as possible. This was the best i could make of it.

Cheers

Hillebrand

David Kennedy
05-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Hillebrand,
I really enjoy the concept behind this image. I really, really wish that the Wagtail had cooperated more and turned its head in the opposite direction, for a profile facing towards the left of the frame. Another thing that might have helped (although it could have been impossible to do) would have been to get a bit more elevation on the subject so that more of the row of in-focus tulips would be visible.
Thank you so much for posting!

Ed Cordes
05-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Color is fantastic with the bird adding a good juxtaposition. A bit more DOF would be nice and the bird could have cooperated more with a left head turn. However, all in all a good image.

Roman Kurywczak
05-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi Hillebrand,
The impact of this one is very strong as the colors just jump out at you. The contrast of the bird is also very nice but as david mentioned............looking into the image would have helped quite a bit. Did the bird ever turn his head into the frame while you were changing the lens??

Hillebrand Breuker
05-12-2008, 06:32 AM
thanks guys, yes the bird turned its head and was much closer at first, but i was focussed on the tulips and not on birds. I had my focuspoints, aperture, tripod and lens not ready for this surprise. But hey, that's life ;-)

cheers

Hillebrand

Robert Amoruso
05-12-2008, 08:55 AM
thanks guys, yes the bird turned its head and was much closer at first, but i was focussed on the tulips and not on birds. I had my focuspoints, aperture, tripod and lens not ready for this surprise. But hey, that's life ;-)

cheers

Hillebrand

Hillebrand,

Been there and done that on not being set-up for a particular opportunity. I think you did well under the circumstances and created an attractive image what works very well as a pano. David caught the few things I would have suggested that would have strengthened the image.

Bob Ettinger
05-16-2008, 01:09 PM
You did really well considering the difficulties of changing lens, position, refocus etc. We have all been there and done that :D

Noel Carboni
07-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I think the bird is facing in EXACTLY the right direction, personally. Makes the shot less as "expected" and more spontaneous!

And wow, what a field of flowers to shoot in any form!

Great catch.

-Noel