PDA

View Full Version : It's turned out nice again...

Steve Kaluski
11-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Typical, you travel almost 6000 miles and you end up in the same, foul weather you left in. :bg3:

Perhaps one of the wettest conditions I have ever shot in, however both equipment and 'company' did a sterling job, nice one Jamie. Certainly within a short space of time we were both as wet as the environment, even equipped in Gore-Tex, rain just oozed out of our kit, including the camera gear, but we just soldier on, likewise the camera bodies & lenses, LOL.

To me there was some sad linkage between the blood stained Snowy owl and the big, industrial nail/bolts driven into these old timbers, however, rest assured the owl was perfectly fine and had come to no harm, I can only assume it was remnants from a previous feeding kill. I tried to keep the SS low to ensure I could capture the driving rain, not sure if I totally succeeded?

Jamie, wellies will be packed, so sunshine will prevail!
Thanks to those who posted a reply or looked at the previous image. :wave:

Steve

Subject: Snowy owl on old timbers in driving rain (Bubo scandiacus)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 HH Gitzo tripod/Wimberley head
Exposure: 1/100s at f/5.6 ISO800 +0.33 stop compensation

keith mitchell
11-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi Steve as you rightly say the weather certainly was not kind to you but it has helped make an excellent image IMO I love to see birds portrayed as they sometimes are ie wet and mucky I know it is nice to see pristine birds sometimes but give me this more natural look every time. I will be interested to see if every one likes the nails but I would keep it just as it is, excellent!

Alan Murphy
11-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Nailed it!!

Grace Scalzo
11-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Steve, This is a moody image, I for one love the nails. I think images like this with man made elements have a place in one's portfolio. I do wish that the cut off edge of the log wasn't showing. Any interest in considering a crop to eliminate that edge?

Marina Scarr
11-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Love what Alan said!!! :bg3: Love all the environmental factors to this one, Steve. It's quite a powerful image and you can see the wear and tear it's taken on the bird. Love all the textures and the direct stare!

Michael Wayne
11-14-2013, 06:42 PM
I am not in the mood...dude! :t3

That is what it looks like he is saying to me. :w3

Great capture and and tones on the whites.

Arthur Morris
11-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Sharp. Well done for the dreary conditions. I like the end of the log and hate the nails and bolts :). No matter the rain, the WHITEs could go at least a bit brighter.

Bill Marquardt
11-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Beautiful, I wouldn't change a thing. The log and nails prevent that cold sterile staged feeling far too many shots have.

Jamie Douglas
11-15-2013, 12:37 AM
Hi Steve, the owl was clearly looking at us both and thinking, what the heck guys? you have a choice not to be out in this rain :)

We were a pair of drowned rats that day but it sure was peaceful out there besides the 70km winds and lashing rain. I am sure the diner we stopped at for lunch thought we were both incontinent after we left :tinysmile_shy_t:.

Anyway, enough reminiscing about rain. Great work and it should be interesting to see what this winter brings.

The wim is on the way BTW

Jamie

Martin Dunn
11-15-2013, 03:46 AM
I like it Steve.
Great detail and the bedraggled plumage tells a story.
Composition works for me and I don't mind the nails.

Bill Dix
11-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Great shot of this wet owl. I'm OK with the nails; they add some interest. The wetness of the day certainly comes through, although the rain itself isn't so evident. I might have been tempted to take just a bit off the bottom and add to the top.

Marc Mol
11-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Love the image here Steve, nails and all, for mine I would have boosted the rain drops more to enhance the conditions, had to take a second look to actually see them across the image.:bg3:
TFS

Carl Walker
11-17-2013, 05:11 AM
I would love to have an opportunity just to see one of these. I think they are beautiful owls. Really superb image here Steve.